Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google play services draining my s21 battery

(Topic created on: 10-02-2021 07:38 AM)
GizmoMKD
Pioneer
Options

Hi,

How can i check what is going on with my background apps?

Screenshot_20210207-180704_Device care.jpg

 too much time google play service is running in background which is causing battery drain during stand by...

Wifi: off, BT:off, nfc: off during sleep at night and 15% battery drop...

Few hours later

Screenshot_20210207-220625_Device care.jpg

0 Likes
28 REPLIES 28
Holair
Journeyman
Options

I have the same issue right now. Going to hard reset my S21 and see if it helps. It's not ok to turn off auto sync and location history to prevent Play Services draining battery. It's not draining so bad on other android vendors like OnePlus for example.

GizmoMKD
Pioneer
Options

once i turn off the location and auto sync it is better but it's silly to use smartphone without syncing features... for 4k battery capacity it is performing worse then my s9+ ...

let me know if it's going to help you resetting to factory everything in your case.

Holair
Journeyman
Options

Nope. It didn't help. Hard reset via recovery didn't resolved Play Services battery drain. Still 30% per night and Play Services at the first place of all apps consuming background battery. Samsung please fix it!

GizmoMKD
Pioneer
Options

Screenshot_20210210-070650_Device care.jpg

 getting worse and worse, 20% right after i took it off from charger and didnt turned on display at all...

Holair
Journeyman
Options

Here's my screenshot confirming Google Play Services is the biggest battery drainer. I hope we will see a fix in a future software updates. 

Screenshot_20210210-102932_Device care.jpg

cepums
First Poster
Options

I have the same problem. Samsung - please fix this!

GizmoMKD
Pioneer
Options

i think it's something else and not google play services even there is no 1 app in battery drain google play services... there might be a hidden service not appearing in here... i was monitoring the cpu and not going into deep sleep...  something is waking up and sleeping again instead to sleep all the time when not used...

0 Likes
Members_yOGMjPX
First Poster
Options

I have the same problem on my s20+ suddenly google services started draining the battery,tried the following but without success

- cleared cache an data from Gs

- Uninstalled Gs

- wipe the cache partition 

Nothing seems to worked.... any thoughts?

Holair
Journeyman
Options

I've googled a problem and it was confirmed by a lot of S21 owners at XDA and Reddit. They've found a temporary solution.

Go to Settings - Connections - Mobile Networks - Network mode: select 3G/2G.

Additionally turn off: Location - Improve Accuracy - Wi-Fi scanning + Bluetooth Scanning. This may help too.

I've tested Google Maps without these functions - nothing has changed. Location works perfectly fine.

This is a temporary solution until Samsung releases a patch fixing this problem. 3G sure is a pain, but there's no way to fix battery drain the other way right now. I work at home since pandemic, so this is not a problem for me :smiling-face: It helped my S21, now only 3% per night versus 30% with LTE/3G/2G network mode. 

This problem was found in February update released several days ago. So you might even roll back to january update if you know how to do this.

GizmoMKD
Pioneer
Options

there is a new update released. going to try! 200~MB around fix.