Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S21 Plus bad skin tone and hair camera processing

(Topic created on: 13-10-2021 06:42 AM)
roastedwookie
Voyager
Options

I just bought this S21 Plus device and I was hoping that Samsung fixed their image processing, but it seems the problems are the same like in the previous models: Indoor photos of people come out with their skin and hair fuzzy, noisy like oil paint.

I have done two tests: one testing with portrait mode using the wide lens: skin and hair look almost ok, the processing does not seem to ruin the photo much (although looking much worse than on an iphone 11 pro or 12 pro for example)

Test two was done using the normal Photo mode. Here the quality is simply mediocre. While everything else in the picture looks ok, with good details, the face and hair are fuzzy, noisy, like an oil paint gone bad. Pro mode does not not much to fix this. Switching between HEIF image mode or JPEG is the same, nothing changes.

I have installed the GCAM port and the images look miles better with this app, so clearly the problem lies in to your image processing Samsung! We have requested for ages that we are alowed to select the level of compression in the camera app settings. I do not care about the size of the picture. All I want is decent people photos indoors,which I do not seem to get with your Camera app.

Phone is up to date, lens are clean, tried to tap to focus on the face, I have no skin tone smoothing, no effects enabled, tried with and without Scene optimizer...same result. It's like the whole algorithm goes wacky when a face is detected. We have been complaining about this for years, isn't really anyone on your engineering team able to see this problem?

4 REPLIES 4
GoanGeek
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
For Asian or brown skin I like it if you long press for the exposure ring and uder expose the photo so the skin tones match better.

Samsung seems to over expose toomuch.
0 Likes
Hasb
Apprentice
Options
Be aware of black screen of death on galaxy s21 plus
roastedwookie
Voyager
Options

Well, I returned the phone.

0 Likes
Surrey
First Poster
Options
Agree, completely at a loss, having tried everything, to get photos as good as what I see on friends' iPhones. Have had Samsung for more than 10 years but so disappointed w the camera quality of S21 that will certainly switch to another phone after this (expensive and time wasting) foray into S21 world
0 Likes