Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S21: overheating, disastrous battery life, terrible cameras - another Not

(Topic created on: 31-01-2021 06:01 PM)
Raph06
Journeyman
Options

I got my S21 Ultra (Exynos) on Thursday 28 Jan. Today is Sunday 31 Jan. 
I noticed, from day 1, that the phone was getting hot quite quickly, although I was only transferring data, setting things up, etc.

Then I noticed the battery life was not great, but I know that the phone learns about my usagé pattern and adapts to it, so I waited. Today, the phone has allegedly finished learning and predicted a battery life of 18 hours. Not great.

As I was using the phone for basic tasks, I noticed the battery was declining rapidly.

Then I started using the camera, I noticed thé overheating. I only took a few shots and a few short videos, and the phone became too hot to hold comfortably. I put it in my pocket, and I could feel the heat through the fabric!!!🤔

Now, the 18 hours predicted battery’s life has turned to 13 hours, and going down fast.

Tha Camera app was active for 34 minutes, with 1 h 10 mins in the background, for a battery usage of 13%.

On top of that, the quality of the photos is appalling. Highlights are blown, low contrast, etc. But that will be the subject of another post, if I’m still the owner of this inferior piece of hardware.

I’m thinking of going back to my Galaxy S10+.

Update 1: I installed CPU monitor. I picked up the phone from idle to shoot some video. The CPU temperature went from 29C to 41C in 2 minutes. 

I put the phone to charge. The CPU temperature is 41C, with high CPU usage, when I was actually doing nothing.

39 REPLIES 39
Blessed4life
Black Belt 
Options
You're welcome & I know it ashame to have to turn off some things, I've only turned off a few things like Bluetooth & WiFi scanning, location & a couple of motion gestures, everything else is how it came out the box, the battery was draining like crazy the first day but has settled down quite a bit.
No issues to complain about yet.
Let's wait & see.

Screenshot_20210201-113216_Device care_58.jpg

0 Likes
Gilani
Pioneer
Options
Try to do a complete reset. Then install apps manually. I hope this would resolve the overheating issue.
0 Likes
K Dimov
Helping Hand
Options

What the hell is with Chrome chewing on the battery like that ?!?!?

Current: S24 Ultra 512GB Titanium Violet | Old: S21 Ultra 256GB Phantom Black
0 Likes
Liz85
First Poster
Options

I've had my s21 ultra, exynos version for 3days. 

Noted that it got really hot when I first set it up using Smart Switch. 

Then noted that it also got really hot from just snapping few shots using the camera. 

Installed Gsam to keep up with the temp spikes. Phone went from 26°C to 36°C within few mins of it charging on a wireless charger. 

Not too keen on wiping the phone and re-installing from the cloud unless I find more posts that say it'll actually help.

Raph06
Journeyman
Options
UPDATE
Yesterday (day 5), I decided to enter recovery mode and clear the cache partition. That seemed to do the trick. Battery trickled down slowly and the phone did not get hot. One exception, though. I used the camera to take a few shots. Battery drained very fast when the camera was in use.

Then... The phone restarted during the night, as I had scheduled.
When I started to watch YouTube, the phone overheated immediately, and the battery dropped 1% per minute.

I really hope à software update will fix this, as I don't want to factory reset.

Whatever the fix, this is hugely disappointing.

UPDATE 2: after writing the above, I put the phone down. It cooled down fairly quickly. I then tried YouTube again and... no overheating and no excessive battery drain.

currently charging. I'll see how today goes.
0 Likes
LLI
Apprentice
Options
I measured 56 degrees on the upper left corner of the frame only 10 minutes in Google Duo call. I was genuinely worried that something will happen to the phone! Now I am using my old one and the galaxy sits at home waiting for an update. If we don't receive a fix till the end of the week i am packing it and sending it back. After the 990 fiasco last year... I just can't find the right words to describe this...
John19691969
Hotshot
Options
my s21 ultra did the same over heat all the time fry an egg on it hot front and back of phone never seen anything like it before and I've had lots of phones before never like this was so hot i was worried would explode tried everything to sort it after 5 days I gave up sent back to samsung for full refund and went back using my old phone S10 5G which never had a problem..for £1329 its not good enough from Samsung
John19691969
Hotshot
Options
would not take a chance on it send back not good enough from Samsung
0 Likes
John19691969
Hotshot
Options
I've never seen anything like it before it would get so so 🔥 doing nothing on it I had to send back tried reset everything I could to sort it ...in process of full refund samsung got back today
0 Likes
Gionike
Voyager
Options
hi mermii, how long have u had urs mate? I've updated to 3.1 but mine is still burning hot when using simple tasks
0 Likes