Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Update Trade-in

(Topic created on: 19-01-2021 08:16 AM)
Saxacat
Voyager
Options

Hi,

I'm a bit concerned at whether I'm going to be hit with a bill from the trade-in process.

I joined the upgrade program last year, ordering an S20 Ultra. I paid my 10% deposit and received the handset at the start of March. My first monthly payment to Klarna went out a month after the handset arrived, as I was told it would.

I recently received an email from Samsung telling me I was eligible for an upgrade and using the link and details in that email I have upgraded to an S21 Ultra.

To date I have only made 10 payments to Klarna, meaning I owe over £700 on the S20, but no mention of this was made in the process for ordering the S21; I was asked questions about functionality and condition of the S20, which to be honest is like new (its been in an LED view case since I got it), but no mention was made of what it was worth or if I needed to pay more.

I suspect I'll get to make another payment on the S20, before the S21 arrives, but that will still mean I owe over £600 on the handset, which seems more than what Samsung are offering people in some of the posts on the forum.

I'm now a bit concerned I'm going to get a  bill to pay, not because of the handset condition, but because the upgrade seems to have come early in my repayment schedule.

Has this happened to anyone else?

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4
alanni1
Apprentice
Options

Yes, exactly the same scenario. Current balance is £600 but was concerned that little reference was made to this except as you say to confirm condition of my S20.

TommyTizzle
Pathfinder
Options

This will be the 3rd time I've used the upgrade program to get the newest handset and as I'm aware, if you have successfully upgraded through the program then once you get your new phone, you send the old one back and if it is in the condition that you've stated then samsung with send you a confirmation email that they are stratified with the condition of the old handset and will pay off the remaining amount of the balance on the finance for that phone with Klarna and you effectively start a new finance plan with Klarna for the new phone. Hence the finance application you have to go through with Klarma to be accepted for new finance on the new handset. Hope this makes sense.

0 Likes
Saxacat
Voyager
Options

I understand that's the plan, I'm just concerned that the upgrade seems to have come early and that, having only made 10 payments on the S20, I owe more than would normally be the case. I might get another payment in on the S20 before the S21 arrives, as Samsung are estimating 2-4 weeks for delivery (I didn't realise the implication of ordering one of the custom colours), so will just have to wait and see; I guess I'll only find when I return the S20 to Samsung.

0 Likes
TommyTizzle
Pathfinder
Options

Yeah, my understanding is that you'll still have to pay the finance on your old handset until you return it to Samsung and receive a confirmation email. Regardless if you've paid 10 months or 18 months, samsung will honour the upgrade program scheme so once they have received your old handset, they will pay off the remainder of the finance on that handset. It is a bit of a bummer that you may have to pay another month on the old finance but hopefully shouldn't have to pay double the following month. It's likely that I may have to pay for another month on my existing finance to Klarna as my DD falls on the 5th Feb and I'm doubtful that I'll be able to send the old handset back and get confirmation from Samsung in time before payment is requested. Unfortunately this is how it works sometimes.