Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Final S21U test before replacements (replicate at your own risk)

(Topic created on: 07-03-2021 10:14 AM)
Phoenix142
Helping Hand
Options
**Health and Safety warning - these tests CAN and WILL cause burns, additional damage to chipset or other hardware and should not be replicated without caution at your own risk**

So as most of you reading my posts are aware, I have 3x faulty S21U 512/16gb Exy chipset devices being replaced by several different retailers in the coming few days.

I decided to perform a final test before that on something most people do, Gaming: Call of duty mobile edition.

All 3 devices are up against a A90 5G SD855 and a S21U SD888 512/16 version.

Test: completing the introduction on the game which takes about 10 mins max and runs at 1 below max performance to see where the temp and performance ends up.

Conditions; room temperature: 20°C, Optimised soft/hardware settings for full performance and display set to Max, as well as cleaned up caches etc etc.

Start temperatures: (Idle, screen off 30mins)
S21U 1: 39°C
S21U2 : 37°C 
S21U2 : 37°C

A90 5G SD855: 30°C

S21U SD888: 29°C

Backup S21U 4: 31°C (Friends phone, claims all issues more or less less solved with latest updates)

Results:
S21U 1: 58°C (heat warning Shutdown)
-Front and back incl. Camera module: hot enough to cause burns to skin/fingers.

S21U 2: 54°C (heat warning Shutdown)
-Front and back incl camera, as example 1.

S21U 3: 51°C (still worked but heat warnings galore) 
-Front and back the same as example 2.

A90 5G SD855: 39°C no problems continuing or moving on into other apps
-Front and back minor warmth, barely noticeable.

S21U SD888: 34°C (No problems whatsoever)
-Front and back no noticeable heat, sides minor Warmth barely noticeable.

Now, I have one friend with a Exy S21U 512 model who has no complaints and said the latest updates fixed most issues for him perform the same test; 44°C (Heat warning but no problems) 
-Front and back very warm to touch but manageable in short bursts.

I would dare say that these 3 devices are as Samsung put it, 'defective units' and rightly so needs replacing.

Regardless, the final test on a S21U Exy with performance and battery problems solved in the patches still gets 10°C warmer and perfoms worse on tests that the SD888 counterpart.

Seems a little like we're getting the short end of the stick on the international model Vs the N.US devices.

Hope that helps others see the difference and help determine whether the ones who still experience problems have faults that can be fixed with updates of if they should seek replacements / repair.

Note. This is purely an informative post and conclusion from my perspective on my own faulty units Vs a few others and not a 'i hate Samsung and give me my money back' post.

If you'd like the benchmark results on the different devices just let me know:)

Have a great weekend everyone, I'll see you all in another post with the 3 new devices and their results in a few days!

14 REPLIES 14
stevenh220916
Apprentice
Options
my partner actually had the heat problem the other day with their galaxy note 10 5g plus, they were charging it and the warning popped up, the charger plugged into the phone was red hot enough to cause burns
0 Likes
Phoenix142
Helping Hand
Options
that sounds more like a outlet or charging brick defect? I highly recommend getting that power brick looked at as well as the outlet if the phone doesn't normally heat up under normal circumstances!!
0 Likes
stevenh220916
Apprentice
Options
we have tried another charging brick and outlet and the same thing happens, we were advised by samsung to turn it off immediately in case of a risk of it exploding
0 Likes
Phoenix142
Helping Hand
Options
best have it repaired or replaced asap then 😞

have the mentioned anything about repair/replacements ? how old is the device?
0 Likes
ForeCetic
Explorer
Options
58 degrees? what the hell I just played call of duty on max graphics like 25% screen brightness for like 2 hours the hottest my phone got is like 42 or 43 degrees...no heat warning either I'm on exynos btw
0 Likes
Phoenix142
Helping Hand
Options
and that is exactly why those 3 are being replaced lol.

42 to 43 is good for a 2hr gaming session!

what about the rest of your settings as well as the in game ones?

1440p, 120hz, no powersaves, game settings on max?
GoanGeek
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
I play COD all the time, someday it gets warm but most is cool. I do have a clear case, but never had any shutdowns. Max I game is around 1 hour
120hz and wqhd and high setting in COD.
0 Likes
ForeCetic
Explorer
Options
yup I had my phone on 1440p and 120hz since day one and all my game settings are maxed out and on top of that I have a thick case on and despite that I don't think I have ever seen my temperature of my phone go above 45 ...on that day I played for like 4 or 5 hours on cod ( don't judge I was having fun on max settings lol ) I did however try and overheat my phone on purpose ..First of all I recorded a 8k video for like 30 mins cuz people were complaining using camera shut down their phone ...my phone on the other hand got hot like around 40 to 43 degrees but did not shut down and when I stopped it cooled down quick...after it fully cooled down I ran 3d bench mark ..the 1 min one and 20 min one ...then I did geekbench 5 twice back to back and on the second time I had a pop up youtube video playing and then finally I got the message phone too hot to use pop up view and closed it..I dunno if I should have succeeded in causing it to over heat but I did put the phone under a lot of stress....sorry for long post lol
0 Likes
Phoenix142
Helping Hand
Options
***** you've been way too lucky.

even under ideal conditions the snapdragon would... well... snap lol..
if you put it through that.

be happy yours is working that well!! nice to hear about an Exy that can actually perform

I've tried on and off throughout the day playing with the settings, if I want more than 10mins under 45 degrees I have to run the game and FPS mid to low settings on all 3 as well 1080p Res, 60hz and 20-30% brightness at most.

but even then I get about 20 mins before the first heat flag, followed by another 5 mins before a shut down warning.

it's incredible there are such differences between the same chipset across the country , either it's fine, got a tonne of issues with some being fixed or downright burning you Alive with no performance to speak of.

don't worry about it, long posts usually contain better content , more info is always welcome