Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Faulty Unit??? - Galaxy S21 Ultra Exynos

(Topic created on: 27-08-2021 07:51 AM)
Marcell2
Journeyman
Options

I recently bought a new S21 ultra unit. 

Is it normal to have 40°C as the average operating temperature? (I am just reading news, not multi tasking, and the temperature is 40°C, during calls it goes up to 42-43, I can barely hold the phone next to my ear.)

My 3DMark Wild Life test result score is 3250 (despite of cleaning the RAM before the test) and I see many other people scoring 5000+ with the same phone, is it because they overclock their phones or my results indicate an issue with my unit?

According to Accubattery my estimated battery capacity is 4650mAh, isn't it a bit low, for an 1 week old device?

Screenshot_20210821-130429_3DMark.png

Screenshot_20210821-130055_Cpu Monitor.png

Screenshot_20210821-130320_AccuBattery.png

10 REPLIES 10
GoanGeek
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
1 week is still early to decide.

Make sure.

You have the latest August update.
Playstore and Samsung store apps are all updated.

People who had done a smartswitch had more issues with S21 then those who started from scratch.

Certain apps will cause the phone to heat especially social media ones as they seem to be not optimised well.
Heating during call could be bad signal.

You could try 'Wipe Cache' and Optimise apps and see if that helps.
0 Likes
Marcell2
Journeyman
Options

The phone's battery already finished learning my usage patterns and disabled the apps I don't use frequently.

August updates were installed right after I purchased the phone.

I never used Smartswitch.

I only have FB and Whatsapp, I don't have insta, and I am not a heavy user of any of these.

I factory reseted the phone right after I posted the message. No change in the temperature and 3DMark test results.

Isn't it an obvious sign of issue that my phone performs like 60% worse than other s21 ultras on the 3DMark test?

0 Likes
Solution
GoanGeek
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
If you reset you phone it will again run in the background updating and getting your cloud stuff back.

Generally the S21 Ultra does get hot easily although a lot better now with the updates.

If it's really bad then get it checked at a samsung store .
Apparently there are some dud ones out there.
0 Likes
GusB
Big Cheese
Options
My phone ran hot during the first few days but rarely runs hot now after several months unless I'm really demanding on cameras, games etc.

As others have said, ensuring the phone has finished updates and apps are all optimised etc should help
0 Likes
Marcell2
Journeyman
Options

An update on my case. After factory reseting and having no third party application installed other than that 3dMark test I was finally able to reach the average score of other Galaxy devices after I put my phone in the fridge for 5 minutes. On room temperature I only get half of the scores on the test as the average of other 21 Ultra owners. 

My screen on time is 4.5 hours even after factory reset and no third party apps installed. 

I decided I will bring the phone back tomorrow and get a new one. If the problem sti persists after that then I will go an buy a Mi 11 Ultra.

0 Likes
_Jonno
Voyager
Options
40C is fine unless it goes 50C plus Samsung won't replace. They can tell and have a temperature history on each phone.
0 Likes
Marcell2
Journeyman
Options

Thanks for your useless reply. The phone was replaced right away. I am in Europe not in some 3rd world khmm... They said it is a known issue and apologized.

The replacement phone works perfectly. Never experienced any overheating issue with it. It is the 4th day since I have it. Battery optimization haven't even settled but still battery life is very good.

The first faulty phone lasted for 4.5 hours even in Safe-mode after a factory reset with no external apps installed and battery saver turned on. This new one lasts 13 hours with all settings on max and I also use it continuously as my 5G modem for my PC and other devices.

It also scores perfectly on performance stress tests

So all I can say to other Samsung customers: If your phone overheats and runs on +40 temperatures while you only do simple tasks like browsing and factory reset plus safe mode doesn't help then get your phone replaced. It is not normal, you received a faulty unit. 

0 Likes
Marcell2
Journeyman
Options

My phone was faulty. I returned it. I have the new phone without any overheating, performance, and battery problems. 

0 Likes
Marcell2
Journeyman
Options

I just sent the phone back to the store and got a new one. 

This new unit has no overheating issues. Like 4°C cooler. No performance issues either. Battery lasts 3 times longer. (While the other phone was constantly on battery saver and safe mode, still didnt perform more than 4.5 hours on time. This new one does 13 hours, with all settings on max and I use it as the 5G modem for my PC (I couldn't use the other one as modem because of the heating issues) 

0 Likes