Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fast wireless charging

(Topic created on: 27-02-2021 05:42 PM)
Benny1980
Navigator
Options
Hello. What are peoples thoughts on wireless charging/fast wireless charging? Do you think it affects the lifespan of the battery more than using a wire?
0 Likes
20 REPLIES 20
Benny1980
Navigator
Options
yes that looks an ideal setup.
Benny1980
Navigator
Options
yeah I've turned off the fast wireless and am just using normal. gets very hot with fast and can't see it being good for the battery. as you said now and again if you're in a rush it will be handy.
0 Likes
AshtabS9Ultra
Mastermind
Options
yea I have mine set to turn fast wireless charging off from 7pm at night until 7am in the morning then if I need a quick boost in the day I can pop it on,
Case1188
Voyager
Options
I have the s21ultra, and to be honest I've never used wireless charging on any of my Samsung devices, I see it as a gimmick, what's wrong with good old fashioned wired charging, still each to their own I guess 👍
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
I tried wireless charging back with my S8+ but haven't bothered with it since then. S21 Ultra takes me pretty much 1h 10m to full charge so I was fine with that (never bothered check how long it takes wireless yet).
0 Likes
smiley
Troubleshooter
Options

Just going back to my comment earlier about the Samsung wireless trio charger that I have started to use a few days ago.   

Screenshot 2021-02-23 222340.png

(website picture)

As an indication, this evening I put my S21 ultra handset and watch 3, on the charger about 1hr45 ago (at 8:20pm).  In that time until 10:05pm the phone has increased from 37% battery  to 70% and the watch from 21% to 95%.   

Therefore in 105mins it has charged the phone by  only 1/3rd.  If I had connected the phone via cable from a 25W wall socket then it would have taken around 60mins to charge from 37% to full.     

The watch has taken the same 1hr45 to charge an extra 74% so just over 2/3rd.

Hopefully this illustrates that where the wireless can be convenient, it is a slow charge method in comparison.   It doesn't matter much if you are planning to leave it overnight on charge, because it will probably take 5 hours to charge the phone, watch and buds at the same time, and all will be fully charged when you awake.   

If I was in need of a quick boost to my phone only, I would definitely plug it into for wall for 30 mins rather than put it on a wireless charger.

Where this particular wireless charger comes into usefulness, is when all three need a charge simultaneously at night.  

Individually to carry out the plugged in charge cycle for each device would take 1hr30 (phone) + 2hr (watch) + 2hr (buds) and therefore perhaps up to 5hr30 for the total time.   This time is similar to the wireless pad time with all three.   However the buds only need to be charged once every 4 or 5 days, and the watch every 2 to 3.  

Smiley 😀  

- Smiley
------------------------------------------------------------------------
SAMSUNG S23 ULTRA 512GB SM-S918B/DS

Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 Pro SM-R920 in Grey Titanium
Samsung Galaxy Buds2 Pro SM-R510 in Graphite
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@smiley   There are obviously pros and cons to wireless charging but personally I find it  relatively slow though may be convenient for some.   Obviously can make sense if charging overnight , though personally  tend to avoid that   or if  you wish to charge  multiple devices simultaneously.     Occasionally though may  have a partial  wireless charge.   

According to this article whilst wireless charging could be quicker would be safety concerns with current hardware,  wireless charging produces more heat.  https://www.reviewgeek.com/35657/why-are-wireless-chargers-so-slow/ 

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

Benny1980
Navigator
Options
I sent my wireless charger back as it was making a slight clicking and pulsing sound even when it wasn't in use. not sure if it's suppose to or not really? I'm now thinking about rebuying another one. it was fairly handy to have.
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@Benny1980   A bit of noise to be expected and not really a concern.   However  clicking/pulsing may be more of an issue.

Some information here: https://www.wirelessoutlook.net/technology/why-does-my-wireless-charger-make-noise-reasons-and-solut... 

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

Benny1980
Navigator
Options
should it make a noise when plugged in but not use though?
0 Likes