Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fast wireless charging

(Topic created on: 23-02-2021 11:23 AM)
Benny1980
Navigator
Options
Hello. What are peoples thoughts on wireless charging/fast wireless charging? Do you think it affects the lifespan of the battery more than using a wire?
0 Likes
20 REPLIES 20
APARMAR
Troubleshooter
Options
I don't use wireless charging, mainly because all my phones with wireless charging get really hot when I use wireless charging so I just use the wired charger. Also I don't want to damage my phone because it gets so hot.
smiley
Troubleshooter
Options

If you search the internet about this subject then you will find studies and papers on the subject of wireless charging.  

All science data on this subject indicate that wireless charging is fine for phones and does not deteriorate any more than plugged in charging.  However lithium battery technology has a limited amount of charge cycles guaranteed, and batteries will deteriorate over time.  

Many comments state that it can be better to wireless charge, and especially if you use it to place your phone when it drops below 50%.  

The optimal level of charge to slow down a battery deterioration is between 30 and 80% charge.   So if you keep your phone between these values all the time, it will give the best battery and slowest rate of deterioration. 

Batteries don't like to be discharged too low <30% or left continually at 100% with trickle charge.   It won't overcharge your battery by leaving it on, due to the protection circuits in todays chargers and phones,  but it will continually keep topping the battery level up... which is not great for long term lifespan. 

So in an ideal world, you would not leave it overnight on the charger and unplug it at 80%, to then return to the charger at 30%.   Whether you do this with a plugged fast charger, or a wireless charger does not make any difference. 

Kind Regards

Smiley :smiling-face:

- Smiley
------------------------------------------------------------------------
SAMSUNG S23 ULTRA 512GB SM-S918B/DS

Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 Pro SM-R920 in Grey Titanium
Samsung Galaxy Buds2 Pro SM-R510 in Graphite
Benny1980
Navigator
Options
yes I've looked on the Internet and that seems to be the best way to do it. just the phone does get pretty hot when wireless charging. even more so with fast wireless charging. I am just interested in people's opinions. thanks for your in depth reply. much appreciated. 🙂👍
nowdeleted
Big Cheese
Options
I have a anker wireless charger. takes just over 2 hours from dead to charge my S10.
With no wires it makes charging very easy and upto 1 day and 14 hours of phone things to do between charging.
Benny1980
Navigator
Options
I just bought the Samsung charging stand. it's good but it does
make the phone hot. have been using normal charging not fast as that is even hotter. it has a cooling fan in it but the phone still gets pretty toasty. I upgraded from the s10 to the s21. its a nice phone but the battery life is not amazing to be honest.
0 Likes
nowdeleted
Big Cheese
Options
I never charge my phone overnight, with the fast charging I can charge in 2 hours ( usually before going to work) knowing its going to last all day ... usually a 18 hour day
0 Likes
Benny1980
Navigator
Options
no I don't overnight. charge it up before bed and have bixby overnight battery saving on which turns most things off. only lose about 3-4% overnight.
0 Likes
smiley
Troubleshooter
Options

To be honest, I have not been a big fan of wireless chargers in past years.   I always found them slow at max 7W charging, and when compared to a wired connection.   

The 15W charger with my S10+ would charge the phone in approx 2 hours, but wirelessly would take more than double.   This is still the case.  

There would also be some mornings where I would expect my phone charged, and due to it being slightly misaligned on the pad, it didn't charge and i was left with a flat battery first thing in morning.  

Now I have an S21 ultra, Buds Pro, and a watch 3.    With the watch 3 I received a free gift of the Charger Trio.   This is a good piece of kit, as I can place all three items on there and they all charge simultaneously.   Would I pay £89 for it... No.  However as a freebie it is great.

trio.PNG

This charger is supposed 9W fast wireless charging, but this is slow compared to 25W wired.   Actually weighing up the charging time of all three on their own charging cycles, of 1.5 hours for the phone on 25W plug charger, 2 hours for watch, and 2 hours for buds, then it is saving time putting them all on the pad rather than individually.

So right now I am giving wireless charging another try... and it seems to be quite good in this configuration. 

Smiley  

- Smiley
------------------------------------------------------------------------
SAMSUNG S23 ULTRA 512GB SM-S918B/DS

Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 Pro SM-R920 in Grey Titanium
Samsung Galaxy Buds2 Pro SM-R510 in Graphite
AshtabS9Ultra
Mastermind
Options
I think fast wireless charging all the time is bad because it gets very warm, however slow wireless charging is fine and fast is OK if you just use it every now and then, I slow wireless charge on a dish all night every night and don't seem to have any problems