Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Face unlock issue on S21 Ultra.

(Topic created on: 03-02-2021 05:48 PM)
gv959
Journeyman
Options
I have just purchased the S21 Ultra to replace an S10 Plus. Face unlock on the S10 plus works flawlessly and is as fast as on my iPhone 11 pro Max. However face unlock on the S21 ultra rarely works.

I have tested this by removing face recognition data from both the S10 plus and the S21 Ultra take a knee photos and set the same settings to both phones.. the S10 plus then proceeds to unlock instantly from any angle whereas the S21 ultra refuses to unlock 4 out of 5 times....

@Anonymous User. There is definitely a a bug with the face unlock system on the S21 ultra that needs to be addressed please.
31 REPLIES 31
Stutziebear
First Poster
Options

I just turned fast face recognition off to see if that works?  I've tested it few times in a row now and so far so good.

0 Likes
Stutziebear
First Poster
Options

I just switched off fast face recognition in the settings, seems to be working ok now (so far?).

0 Likes
smuggler007
Journeyman
Options

I have the same issue security face recognition is so slow 50% slower  then P30 pro, in low light not working I try everything but problem persist,  otherwise is  good. 

0 Likes
DocDNA
Apprentice
Options

I turned off Stay On Lock Screen Until Swipe and it works perfectly now. 

0 Likes
Flapjack
First Poster
Options
Samsung must fix this Face Recognition problem. I amazed at how quickly my 4 year old MS Surface Pro recognises me even if I'm not looking directly at it.
0 Likes
DocDNA
Apprentice
Options

Did you try turning off  Stay On Lock Screen Until Swipe?  This was bugging me and I found by turning this off, it works perfectly.

Flapjack
First Poster
Options
Tried that. It also complains of a dirty lense sometimes when the lens is pristinely clean.
0 Likes
AnglaisRouge
Explorer
Options

I bought a Galaxy S21 two weeks ago and I'm having the same problems with face recognition. It fails 4 out of 5 times. This is the most expensive phone I've ever bought. My previous phone was a Moto G6 which cost me £199 new four years ago. The face unlock on the Moto was lightning fast and worked 99 per cent of the time. There is definitely a bug with the S21 and Samsung need to sort it out.

0 Likes
AnglaisRouge
Explorer
Options

I've found that no matter which method I use to turn on the screen, side button, double tap screen, or lift to wake, the face unlock fails. But if there's a notification on the lock screen, when I tap it the camera turns on and the face unlock works every time. So there's nothing wrong with the face registration and nothing wrong with the camera.

Hopefully this information will help someone at Samsung solve the problem.

0 Likes
Members_dU96Fsb
First Poster
Options

Yes Ive just upgraded to this phone having had trouble free s8 for years. Face recognition rubbish as is the finger print sensor. Both work when they feel like it.  To be honest apart from a better camera bigger screen and longer battery life am not that impressed. Not much difference

0 Likes