Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Face unlock issue on S21 Ultra.

(Topic created on: 03-02-2021 05:48 PM)
gv959
Journeyman
Options
I have just purchased the S21 Ultra to replace an S10 Plus. Face unlock on the S10 plus works flawlessly and is as fast as on my iPhone 11 pro Max. However face unlock on the S21 ultra rarely works.

I have tested this by removing face recognition data from both the S10 plus and the S21 Ultra take a knee photos and set the same settings to both phones.. the S10 plus then proceeds to unlock instantly from any angle whereas the S21 ultra refuses to unlock 4 out of 5 times....

@Anonymous User. There is definitely a a bug with the face unlock system on the S21 ultra that needs to be addressed please.
31 REPLIES 31
v3nomous
First Poster
Options

I have the same issue!! Even when I add alternative look it is slow. I tried in a couple of condition, bright sun, under shade, in my office - all no avail.. this is frustrating. It gets worst when it's dark.

It also fails to add my face with sunglasses on. Who else is having this issue?

0 Likes
losnet
First Poster
Options

Same problem here. 

S10 works fast and no issues.

S21 Utra rarely works.

Unacceptable for a Premium and expensive phone like this. 

• Please fix it! 
MMB
First Poster
Options
Another here having issues with face unlocking on the Ultra too! Please release a patch fix ASAP! Thanks Samsung!
0 Likes
Members_KKqQuyX
First Poster
Options

I am facing same issue, deleted previous one but still same so it is very annoying 

0 Likes
ABXYstart
First Poster
Options

It's actually unusable. Hopefully we get a software update because my one plus 6 from 3 years ago about does 20x better job than a $1200 flagship in 2021. Pretty garbage and I think at this price we really should be pissed 

RR1742
Student
Options

Finally had the S21 Ultra delivered today - first impressions not great as face recognition is not working - feels like I should have stuck with Apple!!

0 Likes
GoanGeek
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
I believe the S21 Ultra has basic face recognition so don't get your hopes to high.

You can try the faster recognition option or try alternate face option .

These are anxiously less secure.

I would stick with the fingerprint.

clipboard_image_1617878531422_1617878531422.jpg

0 Likes
Vincent108
First Poster
Options

Have same issue. What I found was that whenever this happens, I go into the camera app and switch to the front facing camera (selfie camera) and it is blurry. It just can't focus and requires a few taps on screen to focus, or move it around a bit.

Went to Samsung store and they did a factory reset etc etc, what anyone can figure out themselves and said no issue.

Anyone else have issue with the selfie camera not focusing all the time?

0 Likes
Sara Vicious
First Poster
Options

I'm having the same problem it's completely frustrating. I also had the s10 and it worked flawlessly. I'm also having issues with the fingerprint reader. I'm so upset after paying for such sbd expensive phone. Please fix? 

0 Likes
Clarkey110
First Poster
Options
I'm the same. Bought this phone face recognition doesn't work. However as I have a screen protector my fingerprint recognition also doesn't work. I don't think this phone is any better than my old S9