Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error in Samsung's Danish and Faroese keyboards

(Topic created on: 21-02-2022 10:31 PM)
noxhoej
Student
Options

On a Danish iOS keyboard, or on a Danish Google keyboard, you can hold down the "d" button to insert the Icelandic/Faroese "ð" (Unicode Character 'LATIN SMALL LETTER ETH' (U+00F0)).
And by holding down "D", you can insert the capital version of the character: "Ð" (Unicode Character 'LATIN CAPITAL LETTER ETH' (U+00D0)).

But on Samsung's Danish keyboard you instead get the wrong/irrelevant characters "đ" (Unicode Character 'LATIN SMALL LETTER D WITH STROKE' (U+0111)) and "Đ" (Unicode Character 'LATIN CAPITAL LETTER D WITH STROKE' (U+0110)).

The same error applies to Samsung's Faroese keyboard.

Only with Samsung's Icelandic keyboard is it possible to insert the correct Icelandic/Faroese character "eth". However, the Icelandic keyboard also has the wrong/irrelevant characters, and as can be seen on the attached screen dump, the characters in the capital version, are visually identical, and therefore completely impossible for a user to differentiate and choose from.

Wrong Icelandic characters.png

I initially reported this to Samsung Support 5½ years ago, but without much success: here in 2022, on my fairly new S21 Ultra 5G with Android 12 and One UI 4.0, the problem still persists.
So now I am trying to use this channel, to see if I can reach someone who cares, and who might know someone who can & will finally get this fixed.

0 Likes
2 REPLIES 2
AndrewL
Options

@noxhoej: Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I have gone ahead and passed the details of your issue to our Research and Development Team, and will let you know if they're able to get this resolved in any future products or updates. 

0 Likes
noxhoej
Student
Options

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for trying to help get this fixed!

Through the years I have tried to raise the issue through Samsung e-mail support. Last time they strangely advised to raise it through Samsung Members instead. To leave no stone unturned I did so - and to my amazement I received the below quite positive reply after a week, which talks about actually adding the Icelandic character(s) to the Danish and Faroese keyboards 😎
I just don't understand why it says that "The changes will be applied on T OS"???

I didn't explicitely write that is was the Galaxy phones which had the problem (there was some kind of length limit on the text of the error report 🙄), but I would assume that they would be able to see from which device the report was submitted, plusI also submitted the same screenshot of the Icelandic S21 keyboard, so not quite sure how it could go wrong... And for some strange reason it is not possible for me to reply to a received answer in Samsung Members 😤

Answer received through Samsung Members:

Dear, About Danish characters, We couldn't find references of Danish orthography including ð/Ð online, but we found out iPhone or Gboard provides these letters on Danish keyboard, so we'll update the keyboard to support ð/Ð characters in Danish/Faroese keyboards. The changes will be applied on T OS, because, many models applied current concepts. About the problem of 2 similar characters, We will keep both of them. But as we have a principle to show the language specific umlaut first, so I guess user might be able to use the right one. Please contact us if you have any problem. Have a nice day. Thanks.
0 Likes