Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earpiece speaker not working in OneUI 5.1

(Topic created on: 20-02-2023 07:15 PM)
GeD0
Journeyman
Options
I updated my S21FE (256GB Snapdragon) to OneUI 5.1 a few days ago, and I noticed the earpiece speaker doesn't work properly in videos / music, it seems like for some reason the phone isn't using the top speaker for stereo sounds, but the top speaker is working perfectly fine in the diagnostic app / phone calls.

I don't know if this is a system wide bug of OneUI 5.1 or just app specific, the top speaker works in some apps, but most of the time only the bottom speaker works. Is anyone else having the same problem with OneUI 5.1?

Update: the bug is resolved after updating to the March security update, I reported the bug to Samsung a few weeks ago and to my surprise they got back to me saying that they will look into the problem, now that the glitch is gone I have to say I am really impressed with Samsung's customer support!
16 REPLIES 16
Fiona26
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options
Have you tried giving the phone a reboot? Holding volume down and power key together. You could always try wiping the phones cache partition in recovery mode.
https://www.hardreset.info/devices/samsung/samsung-galaxy-s21-fe-5g/wipe-cache/
GeD0
Journeyman
Options
Yes I have tried rebooting/soft reset, wiping cache partition and safe mode, they don't seem to fix the problem
The only 'temorary fix' I found is to open a voice message / make a phone call to force the top speaker to work, then stereo sound would work as normal for videos / music
Fiona26
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options
If you go to support within the members app. Send error report to the developers. Let them aware of your issue. Could be a bug that needs a fix.
Members_x4f44e0
First Poster
Options

Hi!
Same issue here after OneUI 5.1 update received.

To me it seems that earpiece speaker is not working for multimedia (youtube, vlc, ymusic etc) when the UI is set to make some noise for operations like clicking on an icon (e.g. set phone to DnD and open any app for multimedia, the earpiece is working).

This is again some frustrating bug. 😕 Device is untrustworthy since ever. I'm very disappointed. 😞

GeD0
Journeyman
Options
Hi it seems like they have patched the bug with the latest March security update, my speaker is working perfectly fine now, definitely keep an eye out for the update!
0 Likes
JAYGUNZ
Student
Options

I just started having this problem today on my s21 fe 5g bro. When I use certain apps like tiktok YouTube I can hear only the bottom speaker working but no the top earpiece speaker then out of nowhere it cuts back on. But it does this with other apps like pandora tubi etc. Started acting like this after the new one u.i 5.1. Update. I was using always on display animation and when I turned it off both speakers been working fine so far. Idk what's causing it but it's definitely annoying 😒 🙄 

0 Likes
JAYGUNZ
Student
Options

Same here stg another way the top speaker works temporarily SMH 

0 Likes
JAYGUNZ
Student
Options

I feel you man it just started happening to me today 😕 

0 Likes
JAYGUNZ
Student
Options

My last security patch was on February 1st 😔 I check for updates daily so far no March update I have galaxy s21 fe 5g metropcs

0 Likes