Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dont buy the S21 before researching.

(Topic created on: 30-04-2021 09:17 AM)
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options
Came across an article and video online suggesting the S21 could have a defective screen on a certain batch. 

The article went onto say. 

The 6.8-inch phone, which is the priciest of the three models, was unusable after one drop that left it with a cracked screen and loose glass . The Galaxy S21 Plus also suffered loose glass and a malfunctioning screen when dropped face first, while the Galaxy S21 emerged as the least damaged model. It had a cracked screen with raised glass, but the 6.2-inch phone was still functional.

Take this for what you will, however considering new technologies have gone into creating a stronger glass for the s21 compared to that of its older generation it seem odd that a drop would render the device unusable.

Could their be more to this story or could it simply be a fluke drop.

0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
If you intend on dropping your phones, by all means don't buy any glass screen phone without protection.
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
Prove its stronger. You seen how many fall exactly? Anything less than 100 tests and it's pretty much going to be too small a sample size to gauge anything.

If you're upset over a hypothetical situation in which you really should be careful to avoid in the first place, that's up to you. Meanwhile I doubt telling people not to buy something based on an unproven "fact" about durability regarding the phone is not going to stand with most people.

I own both the S20 Ultra and S21 Ultra and between the two the S21 Ultra is head and shoulders a better phone/device. Its pricier but still better. If budget is a concern, the S20 Ultra isn't a terrible buy though.
dembow
Explorer
Options
Very sorry that you dropped your phone and damaged the screen. It's a heart stopping experience for sure. However, there's no guarantee that a different phone wouldn't have the same faith. S21 is all screen and can be damaged, regardless of its price. Just like a very expensive car would still break if you crash it.

Best of luck with your next phone and I hope that you stay in the Galaxy family. After all, Samsung is where you want to be to experience the best of what Android has to offer.
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
As usual take any such review with a pinch of salt. Tom's Hardware is not the reliable source of information it used to be, it's a bunch of contributors now paid per review by clicks and the quality of the reviews and supposed tests like this has slipped. If there were a real problem, Samsung Members would be full of complaints about damaged screens.

Never drop any phone face first on purpose and do get some kind of protector to avoid accidental drops causing damage.
0 Likes
Archer_Legend
Voyager
Options

There are a wide variety of factors which can prevent or cause the screen to break during a drop.

Historically the QC done by Corning on their glasses has never let out of the factory weaker than spec screens.

It is quite unlikely that there is a batch of glass which is quite weak.

From my point of wiew that article is a clickbait just to get some wiews like those who come out every day about "a new battery tech which will revolutionise smartphones" and after 10 years and thousands of new claimed battery techs here we are with only li-ion and future graphene solid state batteries.

Anyways I had a look at the video in the article, he is dropping the phones from a pretty good height with the inertia of the clamp and the phone and he is dropping on gravelly like concrete. Basically it is the worst case scenario ever. I highly doubt that any kind of glass would survive to such a drop. Stupid article

Archer
DianDD
Voyager
Options
I doubt this is true however I been very clever not to spend too much and get the base model :smiling-face:
0 Likes
DianDD
Voyager
Options
It is all *****, just another bored person
0 Likes
deadpool3049
Voyager
Options
I think after the the whole note 7 problems everyone is looking for any weakness then try to blow it all out of proportion.
One article doesn't make it fact.
And I'm pretty sure if this was the case there would be more said about it
0 Likes
Archer_Legend
Voyager
Options

The "article" is stupid period.

"We took an s21 ultra and slammed it on grainy concrete flat down without protection and it broke, it may have been a defective screen." Basically this is the take of the article and it speaks for itself about how much it is nonsense.

Archer
0 Likes