Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compass / magnetic sensor defects

(Topic created on: 24-03-2021 07:29 AM)
RKKK
Pioneer
Options

Hi all, wondering if you've checked compass on your S21 Ultra, mine doesn't point the right direction and calibration doesn't help. See pictures attached:

2.jpg1.jpg 

43 REPLIES 43
AnneJ
Explorer
Options
I have an S21 not ultra. Is your compass built in/preinstalled or a compass app?
0 Likes
RKKK
Pioneer
Options
It's built in and can be found in the Panels
AnneJ
Explorer
Options
Thank you
0 Likes
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
Try a different compass. Each one seems quite inaccurate tbh but the first one I used from the galaxy store was totally off compared to the one I downloaded from the Google Play Store.

UPDATE - Just set it up on my S21 Ultra and it works absolutely fine, just needs a calibration to begin. It's way better than these 3rd party compass apps I downloaded.
0 Likes
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
Forgot to add, if you put magnets close together, what happens?

Don't place all your phones around each other if you want accurate compass measurements. If after calibration your compass doesn't even remotely point in the right direction, then you may have an issue.
0 Likes
RKKK
Pioneer
Options

yes you are right, each one shows slightly difference but at least they all point the correct direction except the S21 Ultra, this could mean we would be led to a wrong direction in real life, i.e. if following the navigation app. I tried many 3rd party apps such as GPS Test, and followed what Samsung support asked me to do, but all ended with unluck after I waved, shook, flipped, 8-shaped, made it naked, isolated and reset... the reason I put them together just for picturing and demonstration purposes, otherwise, I didn't expect Samsung can understand the defects :smiling-face:  

RKKK
Pioneer
Options

thanks for your advice, I replied to your former one. maybe there's something invisible I couldn't see playing with it :face-with-stuck-out-tongue-and-winking-eye: , so disappointed about samsung this time.

Options

I have exactly the same problem. My phone constantly reports about 90 degrees from the actual direction I'm facing. In my navigation apps, it looks like I'm walking sideways. I do walking in places where there are no signs or even paths sometimes. I need the compass to tell me at least SEMI-ACCURATELY which way I'm facing. This seems like a trivial issue but this is not a cheap phone. It should work properly.

RKKK
Pioneer
Options
Absolutely agreed, I'm in the process of getting the phone replaced.