Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charging S21 via 65w laptop charger

(Topic created on: 17-02-2021 01:24 AM)
maxsumit
Journeyman
Options

Are we good to charge S21 series phone via type C laptop charger which is a 65W charger?

The very base reason of having a standard type-C chargers for all devices is that we don't need to carry multiple chargers for all our devices.

So considering the S21 supports only 25W charging, can we still use a 65W  type-C laptop charger for it ?
If yes, is there any potential impact on the battery life of the phone?

0 Likes
18 REPLIES 18
RXM
Troubleshooter
Options
Whilst I've done this with other phones I wouldn't particularly recommend it. I used my Dell laptop charger on my phone and earbuds and the battery in the earbuds after 8 months were trash.
0 Likes
Gavinh
Helping Hand
Options
the phone won't charge any faster than 25W however the charger is made for a laptop I would use only a genuine Samsung charger.
0 Likes
RXM
Troubleshooter
Options
If I were you I'd buy the Samsung 25w charger since Samsung pushed the price down, it charges pretty quickly. Then buy a sturdy, reliable 3m braided nylon USB-C cable, which sounds specific but its what I use and its the perfect length imo and never gets tangled. But crucially keep both of them for future android phones instead of getting into the habit of getting new chargers for every new phone. Getting a cable and charging plug for every new phone needs to stop being the norm. As too is selling your second hand phones alongside the cable and charger. We're probably only 1 or 2 generations away from manufacturers no longer supplying cables too. If everyone had their own of each there would be less waste. I'll not get into Apple with their stupid lightning cables because I believe they're moving away from it soon anyway.
0 Likes
_Jonno
Voyager
Options
I have a 60w charger my Samsung s21 ultra didn't charge at "super fast" speed just normal fast charging which is 15w I think so I think it has to be a Samsung charger to enable those speeds
0 Likes
Bravocharliege
Explorer
Options
buying separate chargers massively increases waste and carbon footprint simply because of the extra packaging and deliveries that go into separate charger and cable purchase. what we are all doing is supporting the cutting of samsungs' costs and carbon footprint but increasing the carbon footprint and waste overall. this is a bad decision and should be called out as such.
WelshPaul
Troubleshooter
Options

I had to buy a plug and a new usb c to usb c cable as the one that came with the phone is about a foot long and is  cheap and nasty. You should have seen the extra waste I had! Two Amazon cardboard A4 size packaging not to mention the boxes the items came in, manuals and plastic wrap. So this year, I contributed more to landfill thanks to Samsung removing the charger!

My advice comes from being a UK Samsung iPhone user.

Current Devices:
  • iPhone 14 Pro 256GB Deep Purple
  • Samsung Galaxy Buds+ > Model: SM-R175.
RXM
Troubleshooter
Options
You enable it in settings.
0 Likes
RXM
Troubleshooter
Options
Go to settings then battery and device care, click on battery then go to the bottom of the page where it says "more battery settings" and on the next page enable super fast charging
0 Likes
_Jonno
Voyager
Options
it was enabled by default it doesn't my MacBook charger doesn't charge it at super fast charging speeds
0 Likes