Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can the new phones record video at 25fps yet?

(Topic created on: 08-11-2021 09:15 PM)
Martin68
Explorer
Options
Apple and now Sony are offering 25fps,  so being that Samsung is right up there among the best phones on the market, then surely they should also be able to record video at 25fps, being that the camera of the top end phones are supposed to be top end. Nearly everywhere in the world uses 25fps TV broadcasting and uses 25fps camcorders and cameras to shoot video, but with smartphones being 30fps the two frame rates can't be mixed in post. Also 50hz lights flicker at 30fps and 3/4 of the world uses 50hz electrical grid.
So I'm asking before I buy the upcoming s22 ultra (I'm currently using S8) if 25fps aka PAL frame rate is catered for? 

21 REPLIES 21
RobW6
Journeyman
Options

Can you say whether it supports them properly/natively - or is it doing a conversion and doing it by dropping frames. Reason I ask is I've tried a few Apps, and the "honest" ones actually state it is a conversion with dropped frames which may result in jitter. So it's not really 25fps, it's sort of faked 25fps.

Also, it's not just 25fps you need to avoid flicker under 50Hz lighting, you also need a 1/50 shutter as I understand it. Although the other apps I tried did let me set the shutter speed. But either way, non-native 25fps is still no an answer - true, it does avoid audio sync issues which conversion in post does not. But the conversion in phone was pretty grotty.

0 Likes
Mikasfilm
First Poster
Options

Cinema FV 5 does it for free

0 Likes
RobW6
Journeyman
Options

It claims to - but on my S20, if I can set 25fps in the FV5 settings, but what gets recorded is always 30fps. I'm not sure if this is different or better on an S21 or S22 - I've read notes elsewhere that either the Android or Galaxy APIs don't actually support 25fps. Unclear if this is actually true - FV5 notes say "device dependent", but clearly for an S20 this doesn't work.

0 Likes
Mikasfilm
First Poster
Options

You are right. On my S7 it worked, now I got a S20 and it doesn't! *****!

Then Filmic Pro won't do it as well? Anyone tried?

0 Likes
Mikasfilm
First Poster
Options
0 Likes
Mikasfilm
First Poster
Options

Yes it does, just tested (S20).

But the new abo price - no thanks.

0 Likes
Mikasfilm
First Poster
Options

Cinema 4K (free) takes 25 fps with the S20 (plus 24 and 30, that's it),

also zooms with normal lens and supports ultra wide lens.

Although it has 4K in its name, the highest resolution (at least on S20) is UHD.

0 Likes
RobW6
Journeyman
Options

Concur with this - does seem to record 25fps, but that weekly subscription price is way high.

0 Likes
RobW6
Journeyman
Options

Cool - will give Cine 4k a try.

0 Likes
RobW6
Journeyman
Options

Agreed, Cinema 4K does also seem to record actual 25fps. BUT .... the free version is only 1 min clips, and although I may be OK to pay for a paid version, the App looks abandoned. No real info from developer, and last update was July 2018.

0 Likes