Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can the new phones record video at 25fps yet?

(Topic created on: 27-05-2022 02:07 PM)
Martin68
Explorer
Options
Apple and now Sony are offering 25fps,  so being that Samsung is right up there among the best phones on the market, then surely they should also be able to record video at 25fps, being that the camera of the top end phones are supposed to be top end. Nearly everywhere in the world uses 25fps TV broadcasting and uses 25fps camcorders and cameras to shoot video, but with smartphones being 30fps the two frame rates can't be mixed in post. Also 50hz lights flicker at 30fps and 3/4 of the world uses 50hz electrical grid.
So I'm asking before I buy the upcoming s22 ultra (I'm currently using S8) if 25fps aka PAL frame rate is catered for? 

21 REPLIES 21
LiquidSnake
Big Cheese
Options
I am also interested in buying the S22 and cannot wait for it to come out! 😎
0 Likes
Stuie
Navigator
Options
I have the s21 ultra and it can record video at 24fps
GusB
Big Cheese
Options
Yup. This ^^^
0 Likes
Martin68
Explorer
Options

Still only 24fps but not 25fps? I don't get why not, if I bought a camcorder or camera for video shooting ide get no choice than to buy a PAL version (yes the term PAL is still printed on the specs when you buy them in Europe) they are 25fps, but if i bought a phone which is so much more convenient than a bulky camcorder, video shooting is either 30 or 24fps which is not compatible to use along side a camcorder purchased in the same region.

Surely Samsung should finally realize we dont all live in the United states where they use 30fps, I mean Apple have and are offering PAL mode but i love Samsung phones in all other ways apart from the lack of 25fps video shooting. 

3rd party apps like filmic pro dont work for me, I need the native camera app to offer 25fps. Dose no one else in Europe care? considering your buying this high end phone mainly because of its camera features? Does Samsung even read these forums and take note?

kos32
First Poster
Options

I found solution: In Samsung camera you should select "More" -> "Professional" [video].

In pro mode 24, 30, 60, 120 FPS available. Verified on s21 FE

0 Likes
Martin68
Explorer
Options
But still no 25fps
Alex A
Student
Options

Looks like people don't seem to understand what you're asking.

Sadly, PAL options (25/50 fps) still don't seem to be available for phones, including the S22. I've got the S21 and it's all NTSC.

Let me know if you find any Android app that forces PAL framerates on Samsung phones.

And let's hope they someday bother working out how to adapt certain versions to certain markets.

0 Likes
Alex A
Student
Options

Update: While we're waiting for Samsung to support PAL natively; the app FiLMiC Pro (which I know you've said doesn't work for your S8) supports the following custom framerates on my S21. Perhaps it works for S22 as well?

HD: 25 fps
FHD: 25 fps
4K: 25 fps
4K+: 25/50 fps

Download FiLMiC Pro Evaluator (free) to see what your model supports and read the report thoroughly. At first glance I thought only 24/30/60 was supported, but thankfully I was wrong. Still, it's a pricey app for something we'd all prefer Samsung to offer out of the box.

0 Likes
RobW6
Journeyman
Options

It's crazy the extent to which Samsung (and Google/Android) are packing in phone features and missing such an obvious one here. Honestly, much as I've enjoyed the last few Samsung handsets I've owned, this could make me look elsewhere next time - hate to even contemplate it, but possibly even iPhone.