Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera Sports Mode

(Topic created on: 23-05-2021 10:42 AM)
MikeB
Student
Options
Having used Samsung phones for years I have always loved the "Sports Mode" as it's great to use photographing action shots of my dogs.  After all the hype regarding the S21 Ultra on the phones release I thought I'll buy that just for the camera! I know wish I kept my S10. The 100 x zoom is rubbish and nothing like what was advertised during the TV adverts and most of all "Sports Mode" has been removed. After questioning thisbI was advised to use Burst Shot instead. The quality comoared to Sports Mode is garbage. After today's update seeing a.camera update is there I had my fingers crossed but on completion new.tbings have been added to the camera settings but not Sports Mode. Not a happy customer.  Samsung have now lost a loyal customer of over 20 years and time to move on and find a camera phone that fills my needs. Totally rubbish Samsung and a waste of money buying the garbage S21 Ultra! 
6 REPLIES 6
Babishko
Hotshot
Options
I own the S21 Ultra myself MikeB and straight off let's get to the issue of that 100x zoom. It is all an advertising gimmick to capture potential buyers. Which is sad as the 10x optical zoom lens on the phone is brilliant in my eyes and they should focus on this. Forget about zooming in to anywhere near 100 times for any shot. The 30x preset is for moon shots only in my experience as it is too contrasty in well lit conditions. Simply taking a picture at 10x optical zoom and then cropping in on this image gives the best 30x image. And indeed an image that no other phone can beat at this magnification. I marvel at the results of zooming in using this method.
I have never had a phone with Sports Mode MikeB but I must say that in good light I find the main camera lightning fast, capturing moving cars alloy wheels at a dead stop in pictures but when the light drops the lens speed and processing skills drop off noticeably to the point that any action shot indoors will come out a little blurred or even very blurred sometimes. I understand how you must feel if you enjoyed taking pictures of your dogs using this mode on your S10. I assume this mode worked well indoors and gave you better results outdoors also?. I have not used Pro Mode on my 21 U but maybe someone on this forum can give you advice on how to speed things up camera wise for such action shots?.
I love my camera on my S21 Ultra as it does everything I need except shoot good low light video to this point in time, which doesn't bother me as I use it outdoors nearly all the time. I have taken many pictures on my home island Anglesey and have submitted many to Google maps over the last 3 weeks or so which have all been published and I am pleased with the results as are Google Maps and the 5,000 people and climbing who have viewed them so far. For me, owning the S21 Ultra is liking having a quality DSLR or mirrorless camera in my pocket whenever I need it. I feel for you MikeB as the phone is disappointing you from the off, and if I was you in your situation I would be disappointed too as there is nothing as deflating as dashed first impressions. I hope you can move on and discover what a brilliant camera your phone truly has or just move on to another phone that gives you what you want. There is nothing worse than feeling angry or frustrated as I have discovered but it helps to vent things for sure. Good luck MikeB and I hope you do find what you want and are happy with one way or the other. 👍👍
0 Likes
GoanGeek
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Besides the burst shot, you could try taking an 8k video and doing a screen grab from it.
So you get a video and whatever shot you want.
It's not ideal as a dedicated sports mode but workable.
Or pro mode with shutter speed .
0 Likes
asiaheavens
First Poster
Options

In digital camera terminology, sports mode is a type of scene mode photographers can use to help take better sports or action shots. The sports mode will usually  automatically set the camera to increase the shutter speed in order to freeze the action in the frame.

0 Likes
Dazzadooby
First Poster
Options
Couldn't you just use Pro Mode and set a really quick shutter speed?
0 Likes
Okacko77
Student
Options

Sure he could. But the modes are there to avoid this neeed... Or he could buy some other phone and have it. I also do not understand why its removed. 

Okacko77
Student
Options

Do not understand it myself. I would say its like 3 basic thinks/modes you need: portraits, steady stuff and moving stuff +maybe night scenes. Insted you have tons of rubbish like hyper and super slow and you cannot simply shoot your children or dogs if they happen to move... I´am also disappointed by this "superb" camera. 

0 Likes