Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera quality

(Topic created on: 01-02-2021 08:38 PM)
Notamech
Voyager
Options
Hi everyone just received my galaxy s21 ultra 2 days ago and have been playing around with it. Just wanted to hear people's views on the camera quality. I personally really like the pics from all the cameras except the 10x zoom. Despite being optical zoom the pics lack detail are washed out noisy and overprocessed. Most pics i took were in natural light outside on a cloudy day but its not like i was taking these pics in a dimly lit room. i found the quality to be very bad like pictures of birds look like they have been painted with water colours. Do you also experience this issue or could it be a defective unit? 
0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7
Scotcruz
Voyager
Options
Safe to say its not defective.. the zoom is a gimmick in my opinion, in order to get a decent picture.. certain condition needs to be met e.g. light, tripod etc.. the picture is taken and then processed therefore the quality is based on this and hence the grained pic
0 Likes
Notamech
Voyager
Options
Even at 10x? I understand the 100x is a gimmick but i expected the 10x to be quite good given the optically stabilised periscope lens but the pictures as described above come out grainy and i can see that the processing software has used a lot of noise reduction thus over smoothing the image plus the artificial sharpening is also aggressive. The pictures look like they've been painted and all the reviews I watched from the influencers say that the zoom is good up to 30x. Totally disappointed after shelling out over a 1000 bucks.
0 Likes
Scotcruz
Voyager
Options
Totally echo the disappointment.. I have been playing about and got some decent images (not perfect and does look painted) with a tripod.. no chance of getting anything decent with it being in the hand
JulianeM
Explorer
Options

You got luck if that's all to complain, my 21 ultra don't even take decent photos indoor of my daughter reading a book 😞

0 Likes
Jerronimo
Student
Options
Quite happy with the photos even with 10x. In all fairness I only had the phone for a day so..

But I will agree with Scotcruz, I wouldn't rely much on the 10x without a tripod etc.
Notamech
Voyager
Options
Seems like its a hit or miss with the zoom lens. I have posted some pics i took on this thread here. https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/camera-performance.4227097/ I see some others have posted really good pics of the moon. I am starting to feel that i may have a defective unit. Will give it another day or two then might just ask for a new one as i also have the pink tint on the screen that people are discussing.
0 Likes
silles
First Poster
Options

Same issue here with S21. Horrible post processing, especially on the wide angle camera, it just kills all the details.

Same shot with S21, notice there is no detail at all especially the bottom. (ignore the color diff)

S21S21

VS old S10 a lot more detail.

S10S10

I tested the sensor and camera on a brick wall and possible to get share images.

It's the bl**dy post processing, noise reduction and strong jpg compression ( that image is less than 900kb)

Re:

With the 10x zoom on the ultra is must be even worse, since that lens is a slow lens F4.9 vs F1.8 which is like 3 stops slower than the main camera, you need a lot more light, ever stop 2x, so u need at 8 times more light. which means the camera bumps by 8x the iso, which has higher noise, more reduction, less detail.

you can check the iso used in the details.

try pro mode and use lower iso to see if u get more detail.

But honestly anything other than bright sun light, forget it. No wonder why the pros are using DSLR with F2.8 zoom lenses + tripods.

0 Likes