Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery Discussion

(Topic created on: 04-09-2021 05:43 PM)
LiquidSnake
Big Cheese
Options
Hey guys,

Really conflicted with information regarding battery advice and wireless power sharing. So, I have a few queries to share with you all (please bear in mind the battery tips mentioned below are more so directed towards the S8 android 9.0 and S21 5G Snapdragon variant SM-G9910);
- Do the battery tips actually help or cause more stress to the cpu and thus, negatively affect the battery? Also, do Bixby Routines (and alternatives) cause more damage than good by wearing out the CPU for battery life on S21 Snapdragon model above and S8?
- Is it harmless to let my phone charge to 100% and drain to 0%, as long as I don't keep it on charge for a prolonged period of time, once it reaches 100% (which then sets the phone into trickle charging mode)? I've read this is the real reason as to why phone batteries do terrible in only 1-3 years (i.e. leaving phone to charge overnight - it charges in 2 hours, but for the next 6 hours, it will trickle charge).
- Is wireless power sharing on the s21 model mentioned above 4.5W or 9W? Can a case such as the Official Samsung S21 Clear Standing Cover Case affect the speed of wireless power sharing?
- Is it really sustainable to charge the S21 Snapdragon, whilst it is wireless power sharing to Anker Wireless Bluetooth Earphones? I assume this is bad charging practice and even though Samsung say it is possible, doesn't necessarily mean it is good.

Random Question:
- How can I check if a Samsung/Android phone uses third-party/refurbished party using an app/software on Windows 10?
14 REPLIES 14
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

The Whitestone Dome Glass Screen Protector is one of the more expensive options on the market I submit,  however it is the best in my opinion @LiquidSnake 

I buy the twin pack as this works out a better deal.

mobilefun.co.uk/whitestone-dome-samsung-galaxy-s21-full-cover-screen-protector-2-pack. 

Of course yours is the final decision on this.

A case with raised lip will help if placing the phone face down , however if the phone has an accidental bump or fall then it would depend on the height of the fall, the angle it strikes the floor and what type of floor it hits.

A Screen Protector also stops any micro scratches than can happen with general wear and tear through usage 

I'm not sure on Fast and Super Fast Charging as I prefer to charge my phone on normal speed charging as this causes less long term stress on the phone's battery.

I only use Fast / Super Fast Charging when I need a quick boost.

If you toggle On Fast Charging then it will Fast charge till it reaches 100% and then drop to trickle charging I believe.

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

GoanGeek
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
I have always charged my phones overnight for a long time as I like my battery 100% in the morning.
Regardless what you do or don't battery degradation will happen in 1-3 years.
Gaming and high intensity usage will degrade battery faster.
I normally upgrade my phones 1 - 2 years such is technology.
So in no way am I paying top dollar for phones then to limit their potential.
Hence on my S21 ultra everything is auto or adaptive with wqhd, 120hz and 5g.
Everyone is different so you'll get different answers .
Ultimately choice is yours.
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Hi @GoanGeek 

That's exactly the way I charge my battery of my phone too 👍

As I've said before in posts to people on the forum these phone's and charging bricks are smart enough to charge the phone to 100%, and then drop to trickle charging if the phone drops a % while still on charge.

Samsung wouldn't let a phone charge to 100% if it wasn't meant to.

Samsung > How-can-i-optimise-and-extend-the-battery-life-on-my-samsung-galaxy-smartphone. 

Samsung > Tips-for-battery-charging-and-how-to-make-your-battery-last-longer. 

I also turn my phone off overnight while charging, as it's my preference to do so.

Yes i agree battery optimisation will lessen over time due to charging and discharging of the phone through the act of using it.

@LiquidSnake 

The battery tips you'll see on this forum and via a Google Search won't harm the phone. They are intended to help lengthen the screen on time so the phone can be used for longer between charges. Some battery tips can however curb some features or turn them off.

My thoughts are if a feature I make use of uses more battery then so be it. I'm more interested in using a useful feature than getting some extra time out of the battery.

Nowadays with so many powerbank options being available and easy to carry around one shouldn't run out of juice.

My phone easily lasts a day and can stretch to two days if I want.

Some cases can affect wireless charging or powersharing which is why Samsung sometimes advise to remove the case.

I use a Samsung Black Leather Back Case and it's never affected either although it's very rare for me to use the power sharing feature unless my Samsung Gear s³ Frontier Watch or Buds Live need a power boost.

In regards to your phone you've purchased via WondaMobile let me reassure you it's a genuine Samsung phone with genuine Android Software with genuine Samsung One Ui on it.

If it wasn't you wouldn't receive Samsung Software Updates from the Samsung Servers.

Enjoy your new phone the way it was designed to be enjoyed. 😎

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

AshtabS9Ultra
Mastermind
Options
Just use the phone how you want just try not to run it to 0% I charge all night every night regularly run down to 15% and all my phones have been fine
0 Likes
nac5
Journeyman
Options
I leave my phone to charge overnight
deadpool3049
Voyager
Options
Charging your phone over night won't harm it, but like all batteries over time they do degrade due to usage, batteries are a bit like moving parts as they are used they wear down.

If your worried about leaving on charge over night I would say charging it during the day when your awake and can monitor it.

I wouldn't suggest wireless charging has heat can cause the battery to degraded faster
LiquidSnake
Big Cheese
Options
Yeah, thanks for the advice 😀. I generally tend to avoid wireless charging at all costs when it comes to phones, but I thought the wireless power sharing was a nice aspect as if I don't have a cable to spare (highly rare), then I would utilise that feature lol.
0 Likes
deadpool3049
Voyager
Options
Ever now and then is fine but I wouldn't use wireless charging as you default option
LiquidSnake
Big Cheese
Options
Yeah, definitely 😁.
0 Likes