Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Backing up 256gb (what is other storage)

(Topic created on: 14-09-2021 04:59 PM)
Jamsterdm
Helping Hand
Options

I consider myself reasonably techy.... But have I found a way to back up 256gb quickly yet, just in case.... No I have not. So I've bought a 256gb sandisk memory stick now. 

Crack it in, smartswitch backup to 'memory card/usb' 

My phone's storage says it's at 209gb used, fair crack. 

On smart switch when unchoosing apps it wants to back up 131gb.... 

So my question friends is what on earth is 'system' its the os I presume and then 'other' in the storage section? 

I've attached some screenshots. In summary I just don't want to lose any pics/vids/contacts but I've realised a smart switch back up is encrypted so should I move away from Samsung after breaking a phone this backup will not help lol

But yeah in summary what is 'others' in the storage app 🤷🏼‍♂️

And how would you, back up a 256gb device with '209gb' used 

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Arabianstar
Voyager
Options
Make sure you use Google photos to back up your photos and videos via the settings in the Google photos app and your documents via the the Google Drive app both of which should be connected to your Google account on your device. Please ensure you have set the back up and restore option in your settings in the settings of your device. It is also a great idea to ensure you have set up a Samsung account on your device as Samsung does offer a simple back up service in that account buy it does not give enough space on their back up service for all your photos / videos/music/ documents. It does , however, back up your contacts , home screen settings / apps. This is a really good idea to set up because if you have to reset your phone/ replaced your device and you then sign into your Samsung account and Google account ALL of your settings/contacts would be restored via your Samsung account and if correctly set up all your photos/videos/ documents would be restored via your Google account on your phone.
You should also use Samsung's Smart Swith application on your device and link it to your PC or Mac and you can back up ALL the contents of your devices storage including your Contacts / Applications / Settings/ Music/ Photos/ Videos/Documents onto either your PC / Mac and any external storage devices ( hard drives etc ) and it is another

View solution in context

0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9
Jamsterdm
Helping Hand
Options

Screenshot_20210914-164539_My Files.jpg

Screenshot_20210914-164539_My Files.jpg

Screenshot_20210914-164635_Smart Switch.jpg

0 Likes
Arabianstar
Voyager
Options
Your last question?? How would you back up 256gb with 209 gb
used ..... if you delete all your old back ups ensuring you have a copy of all your photos on Google Photos and a copy of your documents on your Google drive it will then copy / back up your contents onto your back up device 👍 ... if that helps let me know, if not come back with more details and I'm happy to help 😊
0 Likes
Arabianstar
Voyager
Options
Samsung OS does use around 40 gig of space of your devices storage.....
0 Likes
Jamsterdm
Helping Hand
Options

@Arabianstar wrote:
Samsung OS does use around 40 gig of space of your devices storage.....

Thanks for the insight. The question at the end was more a how do others do it, but yeah good shout hadn't thought of that. What I meant was I guess is, what is the quickest way to back the whole media up but I think this stick is quite a quick way :smiling-face: 

0 Likes
Solution
Arabianstar
Voyager
Options
Make sure you use Google photos to back up your photos and videos via the settings in the Google photos app and your documents via the the Google Drive app both of which should be connected to your Google account on your device. Please ensure you have set the back up and restore option in your settings in the settings of your device. It is also a great idea to ensure you have set up a Samsung account on your device as Samsung does offer a simple back up service in that account buy it does not give enough space on their back up service for all your photos / videos/music/ documents. It does , however, back up your contacts , home screen settings / apps. This is a really good idea to set up because if you have to reset your phone/ replaced your device and you then sign into your Samsung account and Google account ALL of your settings/contacts would be restored via your Samsung account and if correctly set up all your photos/videos/ documents would be restored via your Google account on your phone.
You should also use Samsung's Smart Swith application on your device and link it to your PC or Mac and you can back up ALL the contents of your devices storage including your Contacts / Applications / Settings/ Music/ Photos/ Videos/Documents onto either your PC / Mac and any external storage devices ( hard drives etc ) and it is another
0 Likes
Arabianstar
Voyager
Options
But yeah the easiest way is to use Smart Switch on a pc or mac ... hope it all help. Let me know if I can help you further. Best wishes
0 Likes
Arabianstar
Voyager
Options
Hey its Arabianstar here. How are you ? Did any of my long winded information help with your issues you raised ? Can I assist you any further? @ Jamsterdm
0 Likes
Jamsterdm
Helping Hand
Options

I'm all good mate thanks. Was more a curiosity of the quickest way to do it. But I've got a back up smart switch style on a 256gb memory stick and also a backup on my laptop :smiling-face: 

Arabianstar
Voyager
Options
ah that's good to hear 👂 😊 nice one. All the best to you and yours
Kind regards @Jamsterdm
0 Likes