Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Android Auto not connecting with S21

(Topic created on: 25-06-2021 02:11 PM)
Ali9191
Student
Options

Cant get my new Samsung S21 to connect to Android Auto, tried different cables but still not working... any ideas??

Go to solution
47 REPLIES 47
BruinsRule
First Poster
Options

I have a 2016 Fiesta ST.  Using the latest Ford Sync 3 update, I was able to connect to my Note 8 and Surface Duo using a standard USB-A to USB-C connector.  The Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G would cycle connected and disconnected every few seconds.  I bought a Samsung 1 meter male USB-C to male USB-C cable and a male USB-A to female USB-C connector, and it now works.  I connected the USB-A to USB-C cable to a 2021 Eco-Sport w/ Ford Sync 3.4 and it worked fine with that car system.  The cable does seem to be a key component to connecting successfully.  Thank you.

0 Likes
vta500
First Poster
Options

I replaced the phone Huawei P30 pro with Galaxy S21FE 5G. With the Huawei Super-charge cable, the Android Auto Connection at Hunday SantaFe (2020) worked perfectly. However, the new phone only showed charging. No Setup change helped. The phone also included Galaxy Buds2, which I tried instead of the old Huawei cable. Android Auto started working right away. It turns out that USB cables are not one standard ...

0 Likes
Becs9310
Student
Options

My mother have a strange problem regarding this. Her S21 5G works perfectly wireless with android auto in 2021 Tiguan, but not at all via wire in 2018 Tiguan. Other phones such as S20+ and S10+ works perfect with the same wire in the 2018 Tiguan, but the S21 only charges. Have tried to set USB debug on the S21 but did not work. Emptied cache and data on Android auto on S21, still no connection. Uninstalled AA and installed again, still only charges when connecting the wire.

0 Likes
MilanKerslager
First Poster
Options

I had to stop using a few of my USB3 cables that used to work because they didn't support super-fast charging with S21 Ultra. I exchanged them for 50W or 100W charging cables. I had to choose the more flexible ones.

0 Likes
Mac57
Apprentice
Options

I want to thank Milan Kerslager for his post.  It sent me on a trail of what the real problem is and how to fix it.  Just as there are different types of USB connectors ( A,B,C) there are different cable standards (USB 1, USB 2, USB 3, USB 3.1) USB 4).  Samsung Galaxy s21 Ultra requires a minimum cable of USB 3.1.  I ordered an Anker 3 foot USB 3.1 cable and now my phone connects to Android Auto with no problems.  Most older vehicles have the USB A connector which will limit the type of cable that can be used to a USB 3.1 cable with one end having a USB A connector and the other end having a USB C connector.  New vehicles will have the USB C connector and will be able to use the new USB 4 cable.  USB 4 cables have USB C connectors on both ends.

0 Likes
Members_g8fb3dS
First Poster
Options

Same problem started last year with S10 5G changed phone to S21 Ultra. Same problem. VW 2020 Passat. Phone works fine in my wife's T-Roc (identical infotainment system) VW blame phone but at moment it is unusable totally) Any thoughts? 

0 Likes
Mac57
Apprentice
Options

See post by Mac57 above.

0 Likes
Jovaniko77
First Poster
Options

Try better cable. I've bought ANKER

And working fine

0 Likes
Members_5COP9lA
First Poster
Options

I had the same issue with Android Auto. Tried different cables without luck. When I saw your comment, I opened car settings and searched for connected devices. It turned out that my new Samsung S21 FE was disabled! Switching this setting to "on" helped. 

0 Likes
djcalderone
First Poster
Options

I tried everything, plus what I thought was a good quality cable $29.  I couldn't find information on the cable boxes as to what version they were.  I read it needs to be version 3.1 or 4.  Then I bought a 4' Native Union Belt Cable USB-A to USB-C from Best Buy $20 or less.  The Car recognized it straight up.  Comes with a two-year warranty.  They appear to be well built and heavy-duty.

0 Likes