Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G Battery Drain - Interesting Read

(Topic created on: 15-06-2021 06:27 PM)
GoanGeek
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

Samsung phone battery drains quickly on 5G service

You may notice that your phone's battery drains faster than usual while you are connected to a 5G network. This is a limitation of the current 5G networks, and will be improved as the networks expand.

At this time, the 5G networks are only used for data connections and are not yet capable of carrying phone calls and messages. Your phone will need to maintain a connection to the 3G or LTE network in addition to the 5G network so that phone calls, text messages, and data will be delivered consistently.

Because your phone is connected to multiple networks simultaneously, the battery will drain faster than one would typically expect, and the phone may get warmer than when solely on 3G or LTE. To make up for this, you can try using features that will optimize and improve your phone's overall performance. Navigate to Settings, and then search for and select Optimize battery usage to find these features.

As the 5G networks grow in capacity and capability, they will be able to handle more of your phone's functions with less battery drain.

6 REPLIES 6
GoanGeek
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Saw this on samsung.com and found it quiet interesting.

I have the 5G sim here in UK and haven't really seen much difference so far.
But then again I haven't been roaming much due to Covid so it could change.

Interesting to note that it mentions 5G is not optimised for calls but more for data.
0 Likes
leicesterMan
Troubleshooter
Options
5g phone in Leicester UK, can't get 5g 90 percent of places on EE
0 Likes
tinglish
Hotshot
Options
Yeah I was aware of this when I first got my s21 ultra.
Switched network settings to 4g/LTE it's a good power saving method.
0 Likes
AshtabS9Ultra
Mastermind
Options
I refuse to change my price plan for 5G as I get 60gb for £16. I find 4G fast enough and after what I just read it can stay that way lol cheers for the info
0 Likes
GusB
Big Cheese
Options
I've just turned off 5g reception on mine (saves battery)...my tariff was the same price as 4g on O2... Knew it was purely data and don't get it where I live anyway!
0 Likes
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
I still get great battery life even with my 5G enabled. Thanks for the info though. 👍
0 Likes