Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G Performance on Exynos S21 Ultra is waaayyy slower than an S10+ or S20+

(Topic created on: 05-02-2021 06:28 PM)
SmallFish
Helping Hand
Options

Hi

Has anybody else noticed that the S21 Ultra doesn't seem to deliver consistent and reliable 4G speeds, particularly in terms of 4G uploading. I've done a comparison between my S21 Ultra and a S10+ both on the same network (EE) and the results are shocking.

The S21 Ultra simply doesn't consistently reach the same levels and upload is extremely weak for me - seems to take the phone a number of second to "wake up" and send any data over 4G.

WiFi is fine but the 4G speeds are pushing me to return the phone. 

Have others noticed the same issue?

Interestingly, Samsung seem curious, which makes me think that there's been other similar reports. It would be strange if everything else works ok to believe this is a fault with the phone.

Thanks.
400139200926_150530.jpg
80 REPLIES 80
Gionike
Voyager
Options
do you know what is being fixed in the new update?
0 Likes
adamlee
Big Cheese
Options

What's new:
* February security patches (Samsung Android Security Updates)
* The performance of Camera has been improved
* Overall stability of functions improved
* The security of your device has been improved
0 Likes
Gionike
Voyager
Options
sounds exactly the same as the last update that I did
0 Likes
adamlee
Big Cheese
Options
that's all I know from the change log. I'm afraid I can't tell you more.
0 Likes
Gionike
Voyager
Options
no that's. I appreciate it though, thank you 😊
adamlee
Big Cheese
Options
are you using a case? I'm using official silicone one but seen on Reddit someone with a clear case got worse speeds than his wife's phone... identical s21 ultra and same network but she was using silicone cover and he took it out of the clear case and got the same results as his wife's phone. try without a case if your using one.
0 Likes
SmallFish
Helping Hand
Options
I am samsung black silicone case - have tried without.. to discernable difference unfortunately. 😞
Thanks for the suggestion though.
adamlee
Big Cheese
Options
you could manually flash the new update if you know how to use Odin?
0 Likes
SmallFish
Helping Hand
Options

I'll Wait to see if Samsung release update on Monday first. Thanks!
Update: I tried looking for B3 but couldn't see where you'd source it from as the usual suspects are only using AUAC

0 Likes
SmallFish
Helping Hand
Options

Well, a weekend wasted.

Summary: assuming my phone is not just faulty (everything else is fine). The problem feels like the S21 4G modem is much more sensitive than the S20's and in a bad way; I hope it can just be better calibrated.

You might not notice this issue in city areas (strong signal areas) or where you are using WiFi (wait until Spring for post-covid wave 2/3/4/5 walks!) but the 4G upload speed is being impeded by something (and the stats from the S21 compared to the S10 are shockingly poor).

The download speed is generally ok outdoor (not impacted as much) but you'll find the the modem is more temperamental generally, which means slower 4G with the S21 than with the S10 or S20. The phone is capable though as in good conditions, I reached 4G 330mbps down and 75mbps up in one location. You just wouldn't get these freak stats if the phone wasn't capable or faulty (i.e. flawed beyond rectification).

I've now tried a factory reset and different networks (EE and O2) - the same issue presents. At first, I thought it was resolved after a factory reset because I left WiFi on (which appears to have some effect on the stats being reported although maybe not actual user experience)... Strangely if you leave WiFi on but not connected to a network, the latency problem is masked to some extent. Doesn't give me a lot of confidence in Samsung's coding.

I really hope this means it's a software issue but I'm not convinced.

Tested: throughput, latency, signal strength, location from cells (indoor worse than normal, outdoor seems as I'd expect - which is making me think the modem is too sensitive; I've tried physically hopping over cell locations but I'm reluctant to believe I just have a cluster of neighbouring bad cells), network, settings, any apps that might 'interfere' - i.e. have some kind of impact on the connection, safe mode.

Ruled out: network, cases, factory reset, apps, phone settings.

Complicating factors: each connection to a cell is somewhat unique, cells can be poorly performing yet it's impossible to find out offically from network providers, experience from one day to the next can be volatile in busy areas.

Conclusion: will wait for software updates (i.e. I don't just have a faulty phone) but need Samsung to acknowledge there is an issue really.  Problem persists in firmware B6/B7.