Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

21 Ultra GPS/Compass issues.

(Topic created on: 18-02-2022 02:05 PM)
WillH
Journeyman
Options
I have been having constant compass/GPS direction issues with my 3 week old S21 Ultra. 

I am unable to calibrate the inbuilt compass. Google Maps calibrates breifly with the camera but then reverts to being incorrect. Calibrating Google Maps manually also does not work. 

Every navigation app I use has me facing 90° in the wrong direction. I have restarted and factory reset the phone and it has never been dropped or damaged. 

The case I have it in is Magsafe and taking it out improves calibration slightly but I'm at a loss as to what else to do to fix fully. Any help would be appreciated!
31 REPLIES 31
Members_kfiMV3Z
Student
Options

Same issue in 2022. I've been hoping monthly software stability/security updates fixed this but they don't. Such a shame. And apparently Samsung doesn't read these posts either.

Pkmx1
First Poster
Options

I have exactly same problem since I got S21 ultra new in Nov last year. Haven't found solution yet. I observed the error is at about 45-90 degree clockwise. I have to move while watching map to work out the direction everything which is frustrating. Just start to look for a solution on internet

0 Likes
gedircampos
First Poster
Options

Has anyone managed to find a solution to this problem?

0 Likes
FrozenDung
First Poster
Options

Unfortunately not I've still has this issue.

I use my galaxy watch for navigation in cities because the S21 Ultra is so bad with its compass.

0 Likes
OrionBG
First Poster
Options

I have the same issue with my S21 Ultra and it is already April 2022... Trying to navigate on foot in a city like London is a nightmare with this phone due to the 90 degree error in the positioning... 

Samsung, fix this!!!

Members_W0Mj5kQ
First Poster
Options

I too have had this issue from day 1 of owning the s21 ultra. The problem is so bad I cannot use it for walking navigation, which should be core function of this device. I'm tempted to start a class action lawsuit as many attempts to resolve this issue have failed and Samsung are not accepting liability for the issue. 

Geoff Infield
Journeyman
Options

Same problem, same exact 90 degrees, same diagnostics.  I was using it to find the ISS for me to photograph with a proper camera and missed it because suddenly my phone is 90 degrees out (this was outdoors).

Went into google maps, can't find 'calibrate' anymore, but heads-up is 90 degrees out. Did all the figure 8s anyway, no change. 

Restarted the phone and it seemed okay. Nope. I stood in the middle of the room facing south with it showing S then sat down at the coffee table, boom - 90 degrees different again. 

To rule out a gigantic electromagnet hiding in the couch I stood up and faced south  on the same spot again. Still wrong.  Then I tried Dioptra - worse, rotating it goes N (when facing  South) then as far as NNE and starts going back again.

Sidebar compass keeps saying calibrate and it doesn't last more than a minute. 

0 Likes
Members_ONlVSFV
First Poster
Options

I also face this issue dayly.

I walk sideways like a crab, but it's not a good solution.

0 Likes
catalayse
Student
Options

I just started having this issue with my S21 Ultra last month. It will hold the calibration for a day or two Max and then it's back to the same issue, it thinks I'm in the middle of the water or driving off road next to the highway and the directions are all wrong. I rely on my GPS to get me to clients homes and search and rescue locations on a daily basis. I hope there's a fix ASAP otherwise I'm going to have to return the phone. I've only had it a couple of months and like everything else about it 😒

0 Likes
Nity
First Poster
Options