Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

21 Ultra GPS/Compass issues.

(Topic created on: 28-11-2021 02:55 PM)
WillH
Journeyman
Options
I have been having constant compass/GPS direction issues with my 3 week old S21 Ultra. 

I am unable to calibrate the inbuilt compass. Google Maps calibrates breifly with the camera but then reverts to being incorrect. Calibrating Google Maps manually also does not work. 

Every navigation app I use has me facing 90° in the wrong direction. I have restarted and factory reset the phone and it has never been dropped or damaged. 

The case I have it in is Magsafe and taking it out improves calibration slightly but I'm at a loss as to what else to do to fix fully. Any help would be appreciated!
31 REPLIES 31
AndrewL
Options

@WillH: Can you try opening the Phone app and dialing *#0*# into your keypad? From the series of grey tiles, select 'Sensors', place the phone on a flat surface, then head to Gyroscope Sensor > Gyro Selftest, followed by Magnetic Sensor > Selftest. Do you get a 'Pass' result for both of these sensor tests? 

0 Likes
WillH
Journeyman
Options
I get a 'Pass' for all. The magnetic sensor does have a black circle with 'Need for calibration' written in it though?
D-Mac
First Poster
Options
I get the same result
0 Likes
WillH
Journeyman
Options
Just had an appointment with WeFix via Samsung. The guy replaced multiple phone components and the problem has not resolved. He has not seen a phone do this before. It is evident that the software prevents the compass calibration saving. The phone forgets every time the app minimises/closes/refreshes. How can a phone that is this expensive not have such basic compass functionality?!
0 Likes
Cristisandu
Explorer
Options

I have the exact same problem with my S21 Ultra. I went to a Samsung Service and they changed the phone's motherboard for faulty GPS and magnetic sensors, but the issue hasn't been solved, so it's obviously a software problem. 

I somehow managed to solve this issue in Maps by disabling the "Start maps in satellite view" option in settings and so far it seems to be improved. 

I noticed this working when I deleted the app's cache and data, having this option disabled by default. 

0 Likes
DimSav
First Poster
Options

I use for years with different smartphones, applications that need the compass. But really the 21 Ultra has a problem with Compass accuracy and it is a shame for such an expensive phone. Unfortunately, the accuracy of the compass is not corrected by Google Maps for a long time. The problem continues for other applications that require the mobile compass. I really did not have such a serious problem with older devices than with the s21 Ultra. 

0 Likes
WillH
Journeyman
Options
Samsung have just contacted me and the issue is being escalated as it wasn't resolved by WeFix. Will keep you all in the loop with progress/resolution so you can hopefully get your devices sorted too.
WillH
Journeyman
Options
Just been directed to tech support over the phone on 0330 726 7864. Hardly a satisfactory resolution. Not sure how they could do any better than somebody physically going the phone. Having to send off the device is simply not an option for me at this point.
0 Likes
JoSwi
Student
Options
I'm getting this exact issue with the S21 5g. It's infuriating and seems to have only started over the last few months. I have has this phone since release last year and it's only recently that the problem has started. Must be a software issue surely