Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will My S20FE 4g (Snapdragon) Only Get 1 Android Update?

(Topic created on: 08-06-2022 04:48 PM)
RXM
Troubleshooter
Options
To be clear I'm talking about the S20FE 4G Snapdragon varient (SM-G780G/DS) not the one released 2 years ago with the Exynos chip in it here in the UK. It came with Android 12 and One Ui 4 already installed when I got it last month which surprised me. When it was initially released last year it came with Android 11 pre installed. So am I right in thinking there will be one more android update to Android 13 and 2 more years of security updates to 2024? Or is it going to be based on the fact it was released in 2021 with Android 11 and get Android to 14 etc? It would seem strange I'd imagine from the eyes of a new customer (especially those Apple types) to buy a top tier S line phone and only get 1 more OS upgrade. Just me? 

I'm just curious is all. Regardless of future software commitments I would recommend this phone to anyone, maybe the best battery life I've had from any Samsung phone (including S21 Ultra) and if the trade in deal is still active it's by far the best value phone Samsung sells.

0 Likes
2 REPLIES 2
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
Yes, one more. It's done from the initial release of the phone and not what it came with when you bought it. So if the original batch had Android 11 then 13 will be the last. You'll still get security updates though
0 Likes
RXM
Troubleshooter
Options
Thanks for the reply but I'm still a bit confused. I thought the S series phones apart from the newest ones (which get 4 I believe) got 3 Android Updates and 4 years of security updates? In that case it would be Android 14 this phone should get. I knew that it wouldn't go from Android 12 but wanted to use that to show how strange it is for there to be a phone being sold on Samsung's website which potentially only has 1 more OS update and 2 security updates but is such a fast and capable phone. It seems a bit out of place with A series phones of late also getting generously lengthy software support.
0 Likes