Troubleshooter
Options
What star is this, " the bright one " if any one knows 
Pictures taken at 03.01am
9th July
Facing south

Samsung galaxy s20 ultra , Pro camera mode settings, iso 400, speed 30
Second picture is raw 
I'm surprised anything came out as it was pitch black looking out my window, camera was placed against the double glazing. Window

11 REPLIES 11
millerman
Voyager
Options
Possibly a planet, Mars or Saturn.
0 Likes
leicesterMan
Troubleshooter
Options
Thank you
0 Likes
Solution
Babishko
Hotshot
Options
Well done indeed @leicesterMan you have captured two planets in your picture!. The bright 'star' in the middle is mighty gaseous giant Jupiter and you have been blessed to capture Mars in there also just peeking out behind the trees to the left and below of Jupiter!. As a once dedicated amateur astronomer I recognise the lower part of the constellation of Pegasus at the top of your picture and I entered your time and location into my Stellarium app and it confirmed that you were facing South East and the location of the two planets. Below I have screenshots of my Stellarium locator and of your first picture with the location of Mars and Jupiter marked on for you. 👍👍 Screenshot_20220709-104049.jpgScreenshot_20220709-105935_Samsung Members.jpg
leicesterMan
Troubleshooter
Options
That's brilliant thank you very much
leicesterMan
Troubleshooter
Options
I did take this picture as well , the main dot has another small dot next to it if you zoom in 20220709_025629_171873_1657331789.jpg
0 Likes
leicesterMan
Troubleshooter
Options
I did take this picture as well , the main dot has another small dot next to it if you zoom in20220709_025629_171873_1657331789.jpg
leicesterMan
Troubleshooter
Options
Wow Jupiter was very brilliant yesterday as everything else out my window was pitch black , I'm surprised what my phone picked up
Babishko
Hotshot
Options
Indeed it does and a bright dot too... That is very much a mystery to me...I doubt if it is one of Jupiter's moons??.. Probably some kind of satellite especially if it was there one minute and gone the next.
0 Likes
Babishko
Hotshot
Options
We are now in the fortunate position that most of the phones we carry in our pockets have a camera quality that is now on a par with a DSLR camera.. We can capture whatever catches our eye nowadays and capture it well..👍👍
0 Likes