Helping Hand
Options

How do I delete other because that's a lot of memory 
Go to solution
47 REPLIES 47
Flutter
Student
Options

The "other" folder is data stored by the apps on your phone.  If you use telegram that one is a HUGE data hog - go into telegram settings, data and storage, then storage usage.  It's auto set to keep all data forever. 

If you DON'T use telegram, then you need to figure out which apps are storing data.  Once you figure that out and change those settings (or delete the data hog apps if this is a work phone) then that should fix it.

I hope this helps.

0 Likes
The Alchemist
First Poster
Options

I don't think "go plug your phone in to your PC and poke around the filesystem to figure out what app is using a lot of data" is an acceptable solution for modern and leading phone technology.

If someone knows of a more usable solution, like an app that can actually scan for large files from other apps. Supposedly DiskUsage is a good one.

Members_eTRcCjH
First Poster
Options

Would factory resetting the phone solve this storage issue 

0 Likes
Gavinh
Helping Hand
Options
Not if your phone is backed up as it would put the files back theirs no need to factory reset the phone just go to documents> internal storage go through you files your apps should be their WhatsApp telegram podcast apps etc go through them and find what app is storing large files.
0 Likes
PJNLargoFL
First Poster
Options

Okay, I have gone through connecting via USB to my computer, going to Android>Data and have gone through every folder. I do not use Telegram although the app is loaded, but now uninstalled. There is nowhere near the 20gb that is supposedly in my "Other" storage. Most folders are empty or only have a few mb in them, nothing that would add up to 20gb. Also, practically everything on the list seems to pertain to Samsung, Android or an app that I use (and I'm not app crazy - I don't load up a bunch of junk apps). I'm afraid to just start deleting folders like that...?! AND I took one person's suggestion and made sure I click to see hidden files. Nothing. After about 20 mins of guesswork, and then going back through app settings to delete cache on all apps, I managed to get rid of about 1gb in Other. Big whoop. Now what about the other 19gb??? This is terrible.

Geoffroi
First Poster
Options

So how do I decrease OTHER storage as it's taking up 110 of my 128 GB total?  SYSTEM is using 17GB.

0 Likes
Old_Yukoner
First Poster
Options

Although I have not found a good way to reduce the amount of storage in the "other" file folder besides doing a "factory reset" ! I do know on MY SAMSUNG  PHONE the smart watch is the culprit ! Only after I installed and started using my smart watch did I see  a huge increase in that file "Other". Apparently one can not access that file folder "Other" without rooting the phone to clean it out.  Hope this helps people at least understand !

0 Likes
Partita
Pathfinder
Options

Try use app storage analyzer & disk usage clear other storage. You can download at : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mobile_infographics_tools.mydrive 

0 Likes