Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird Dual SIM Issue

(Topic created on: 31-08-2021 07:32 PM)
AemJay
Journeyman
Options

I have a total of three mobile subscriptions on my S20 to cover all three German networks: A physical SIM1 from T-Mobile Germany and two eSIMS - one from Simquadrat (O2) and one from Klarmobil (Vodafone). The two eSIMs serve as backup in case I have no service with T-Mobile. Usually, only the SIM1 is active.

Since at least a few weeks, i suspect in conjuction with the previous software update around June, there is an issue when trying to activate any one of the eSIMs in addition to SIM1. The menu just freezes and the eSIMs are just greyed out. The phone stays in Single SIM mode with just SIM1 active. Only after a restart the previously activated eSIM is actually online.

The other way round - going from dual SIM mode with SIM1 and any one of the two eSIMs active to singe SIM mode, i.e. turning the eSIM off, is no problem.

The same goes for toggling between the two eSIMs without first turning one off and then the other on. Again, no problem.

Finally, also no problem exists when the second SIM slot is also populated, meaning a total of four contracts: SIM1, SIM2 and eSIM1 and eSIM2. In this case i can activate and deactivate SIM2 or any of the eSIMs as I see fit without any issues.

After contacting customer service an being forced to send the device in for a fruitless repair, i had the device replaced by my primary operator Telekom from whom I bought it. I now own a completely different phone and guess what - the problem persists. This makes it highly unlikely a hardware issue and strongly points to a software issue (baseband?)

Can anybody with an eSIM and a physical SIM recreate the issue?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Elles93
Journeyman
Options

The issue has been resolved with an update pushed one hour ago :smiling-face:

View solution in context

25 REPLIES 25
Wookiee
First Poster
Options
Yep, I get this as well. No solution other than a reboot.
Elles93
Journeyman
Options

I have the same issue. I have one sim and one esim. If i try to activate the esim the menu greys out and i need to reboot the phone. 

AemJay
Journeyman
Options

Hey all, thanks a lot for you feedback! I just wanted to give you a quick heads-up until Samsung gets this sorted out. I am already in contact with support and after a fruitless mail in repair and even exchange of the device someone is finally looking into it. Unfortunately, the recent September Update didn't resolve the issue, so we will need to hang in a little. I will keep this thread updated as soon as I have news. Thanks again!

0 Likes
Options

WTF???! Has Samsung fixed this issue yet?!!!

AemJay
Journeyman
Options

Unfortunately, as of today, the issue is still not resolved. I believe the number of users with our use case is rather small, so pressure on customer service is subsequently low. The fix will most certainly require an OS update so a fix will be available towards the end of September the earliest. I got my device from Deutsche Telekom with provider customisations. The bring a further delay for the release timeframe which means a confirmation by me will take at least until mid October.

If you decide to contact customer services, please point them towards this thread so they will take you seriously. I had a hard time getting my case through.

0 Likes
Options

@AemJay - we have ZERO confidence in Samsung to fix this September or October.....they continue to ignore the SECURITY issues, PRIVACY issues, UX issues, and COST issue.....its been almost 1 year and no fix and no indication or plan to fix....

This is not the only thread....there are many many more

0 Likes
Elles93
Journeyman
Options

I reached out the support through Samsung member app and, after uploading the registry and a video of the issue they confirmed the issue will be resolved in future updates. 

Options

Hi @Elles93 - is it possible for you to please share the "video of the issue" ? It will be helpful to understand what issue exactly Samsung confirmed they will fix....

....to be honest, in addition to this Samsung community thread, there are many more threads  describing this same issue and Samsung Moderators have reportedly shared that Samsung has no plans to bring back the 2 separate SIM1 + SIM2 buttons for calls and messages.....

0 Likes
AemJay
Journeyman
Options

Hi @DualSIMNote10Plus , I think you are confusing two issues here. The issue we are discussing here does not have anything to do with SIM selection for outbound messages or calls. There is no problem with selecting which one of the active SIMs to use for a call or message at least on my phone. I can select which one to use in both the messages and phone app on the fly with no issues whatsoever.