Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird Dual SIM Issue

(Topic created on: 29-09-2021 03:03 PM)
AemJay
Journeyman
Options

I have a total of three mobile subscriptions on my S20 to cover all three German networks: A physical SIM1 from T-Mobile Germany and two eSIMS - one from Simquadrat (O2) and one from Klarmobil (Vodafone). The two eSIMs serve as backup in case I have no service with T-Mobile. Usually, only the SIM1 is active.

Since at least a few weeks, i suspect in conjuction with the previous software update around June, there is an issue when trying to activate any one of the eSIMs in addition to SIM1. The menu just freezes and the eSIMs are just greyed out. The phone stays in Single SIM mode with just SIM1 active. Only after a restart the previously activated eSIM is actually online.

The other way round - going from dual SIM mode with SIM1 and any one of the two eSIMs active to singe SIM mode, i.e. turning the eSIM off, is no problem.

The same goes for toggling between the two eSIMs without first turning one off and then the other on. Again, no problem.

Finally, also no problem exists when the second SIM slot is also populated, meaning a total of four contracts: SIM1, SIM2 and eSIM1 and eSIM2. In this case i can activate and deactivate SIM2 or any of the eSIMs as I see fit without any issues.

After contacting customer service an being forced to send the device in for a fruitless repair, i had the device replaced by my primary operator Telekom from whom I bought it. I now own a completely different phone and guess what - the problem persists. This makes it highly unlikely a hardware issue and strongly points to a software issue (baseband?)

Can anybody with an eSIM and a physical SIM recreate the issue?

25 REPLIES 25
AemJay
Journeyman
Options

Update: Samsung's German support was able to replicate the issue and has forwarded it to the developers. Let's hope a fix will be provided. I will keep this thread updated. 

Solution
Elles93
Journeyman
Options

The issue has been resolved with an update pushed one hour ago :smiling-face:

Elles93
Journeyman
Options

The issue has been resolved with an update pushed one hour ago :smiling-face:

Options

@Elles93  - Wow this is exciting and sounds promising!! Thank you for sharing.....but we need your help!

For about 9 months, as a temp solution, I reverted back to Android 10, UI 2.5 ....and have been daily checking Samsung Community threads patiently waiting like all us for good news you just shared today :smiling-face:

I cannot risk to update my software to Android 11, UI 3.x until I see evidence that this issue has truly been resolved for both Samsung Calls App and Samsung Messages App

Can you please provide us with screenshots of the software update information that shows update version and most importantly screenshots of Samsung Calls (Dialer) and Samsung Messages app. It would be helpful see evidence showing 2 separate buttons SIM1 + SIM2 for Calls and Messages.

0 Likes
Options

Ummm hello???!

0 Likes
lacrossett
Explorer
Options

Please send a screen shot of Messages or Phone. I updated this weekend and see no change whatsoever.

0 Likes
AemJay
Journeyman
Options

Hi, i can also confirm that the issue ist indeed fixed with the recent October 2021 update. Case closed I would say!

0 Likes
Options

0 Likes
Options

@AemJay - Are you SERIOUS ???!! Can you please help provide us with screenshots that show both SIM1 + SIM2 buttons are back for Samsung Calls app (dialer) and Samsung Messages (SMS) app ?

0 Likes
AemJay
Journeyman
Options

There you go @DualSIMNote10Plus . It is the button on the lower end, atm it says "Telekom". If you tap it, it lets you choose another SIM.

Screenshot_20211021-144353_Messages.jpgScreenshot1.jpg

0 Likes