Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of trading in your old Samsung for a shiny new S20? Think again...

(Topic created on: 17-04-2020 09:34 PM)
DCZH
Apprentice
Options

Well I was expecting £200 trade in for my S8 Plus against an S20 Ultra - now Samsung has received the S8 Plus they claim it has screen burn in at the top of the screen beside the time and want £100 from me. Well this phone is just over two years old. So either Samsung are selling phones with screens not fit for purpose or they are trying to rip me off. This will be the last Samsung I buy. 

121 REPLIES 121
Swindonchris
Student
Options

i have had the same  they sent e a pic but there is no evidence ot this pic being my phone. Just a pic of a screen just not goodenough . I think court will be the option .they have to prove its my phone . 

Sanny1
Apprentice
Options

I sent them my S9 which was in mint condition and I got an email with an image saying my phone had screen burn and asking for £100. I wonder if the image they sent me is the same as the image they sent you 🤔

Manisha1
Journeyman
Options

Background: I bought a brand new and sealed s9 which came with a receipt and warranty (I would need to search if I kept this?!) On the 9th April 2019. In Feb 2020 I decided that I wanted an s20 merely because of the camera features that it offered. I wanted to be able to take a better picture of the kids. So I decided to do the trade in offer. The phone was 10 months old and I never had an issue with it least of all screen burn. The phone was never out of the case and I even kept the original phone protectors on and the IEMI number on the back of it. The offer as it was an s9 would be that I would receive a £250 discount on the new s20 so that's what I did. After receiving the s20 Paul helped me to do a factory reset and ensure that no accounts were still linked to the phone. I sent the phone back recorded delivery in its original box and lots of its original components. When I sent the phone to them I 100% did not have screen burn. I am stupid in that I don't think I took a picture of the phone before sending it. I received my s20 on the 8th or 9th of March (I have it documented down) and within 10 days I sent my s9. I have had a lot of problems with Samsung not least the faulty handset that I was initially sent and I had a lot of email correspondence about the galaxy buds I was originally told I was entitled to and then apparently not. I made several phone calls complaining and eventually got a new second s20 handset. I never did receive the galaxy buds although I said I was going to take it further. They have had my old handset all this time and only today have I received an email to say that it has screen burn and I would need to pay them another £100. This is 100% categorically not the case and I don't have £100 to pay them when it is simply not true. 

I have tried to do some preliminary searches but please can anyone help me....1) has anyone experienced a problem with the samsung trade in scheme and can share their story with me so that I can compile evidence and 2) I am absolutely awful at searching for exactly what I am trying to yield. I am trying to specifically get evidence which proves this is not the first time they are trying to do this. Can anyone better than me do some searches (I am still trying very hard to do this myself too) and yield information about other peoples bad experiences about the trade in scheme that I can use? Please. I have found several complaints about Samsung stating they received the wrong phone when trading in and therefore only offered the lowest amount. 

I want to take this further and would welcome anyones help or input in the best way forward. I am trying to go through photos (even screenshots that don't have any evidence of screen burn) and check if I did take any pics. Trouble is it was 1am when I went to bed and I don't think I took any before packaging it. I didn't look at reviews of the scheme (I wish I had) and felt confident that I knew the phone was immaculate and I was sending it via courier. 

Thank you for any help and sorry for the long post.

This is the email that they sent me. This was 100% not like it when I sent it in.

0 Likes
Sanny1
Apprentice
Options

I left Samsung Recycle a bad review on Trust Pilot, they replied to the review asking for my customer reference number so they could investigate which I didn't respond to. I received a phone call from them to say that they would be waving the £100 fee on this occasion and the guy on the phone said they would be taking the screen burn issue up with Samsung as they don't think it should be in the criteria. Its a SCAM, if 5 out of 10 pay they will make a fortune. I'm happy I don't have to pay the £100 and I wouldn't have paid it anyway. My advice would be to leave a bad review on trust Pilot then wait a few days to see if they contact you.

DCZH
Apprentice
Options

An update: I told the trade-in people that I wanted to talk to Samsung corporate about it (was pretty sure the trade-in people were just a subcontractor). They put in in touch with Samsung Technical Support, which was not really any use except they put me in touch with the Samsung Disputes Resolution team. After a bit of correspondence and me saying they were welcome to have the S20 Ultra back and that I would then buy an iPhone.... Eventually, after a week or two of silence I got an e-mail from the trade-in people saying Order Complete. So I would suggest if you are not happy at how you are being treated ask to speak to the Disputes Resolution Team and don't give up. Avoid going to court, simply tell the world about it if they don't sort it out 🙂

Just my two pennies worth...

JillianB
Journeyman
Options

I received an email from Samsung four days ago saying the S8 I traded in has screen burn, along with a photo of an S8 with screen burn. I know my phone did not have screen burn, there was nothing wrong with it but apparently their 'repair centre' says it has screen burn. There is no proof that the phone in the photo is mine, and they want £75 from me (the trade in value was £150). Unfortunately I didn't take a photo of my phone before I sent it back as there was nothing wrong with it. 

I'm obviously not happy about this as that could be any phone in the photo, and it feels like they got me to upgrade my phone on the basis that I was getting £150 off, and they're now trying to con me out of £75. There's no information in the email on how to dispute this, just how to pay. It actually feels like a scam. The phone I sent them was like new, and certainly did not have screen burn. 

0 Likes
TessM
Mastermind
Options

Hey @JillianB , have you tried to respond to their email or try to reach them on: 0333 207 9676 or helpdesk@samsungrecycle.co.uk so you can discuss with them your available options from there? 

0 Likes
JillianB
Journeyman
Options

Yes, we've been in touch this afternoon and it's being looked into. 

0 Likes
Manisha1
Journeyman
Options

Message me privately with your email and I can help you. I sorted mine out 

0 Likes