Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Samsung Upgrade Programme breakdown continues in 2022

(Topic created on: 09-02-2022 02:36 PM)
Blu3Str3ak
Journeyman
Options

I was eligible back for my 12 month upgrade back in mid Nov 2021. Never got any upgrade email and found out the hard way by trying to login to Upgrade Lounge, that my access was not enabled either.

I had the usual pillar to post experience calling up local UK customer service, video chat and another team elsewhere in the world from Upgrade Lounge customer care number. All to no end.

After scouring through community posts and forums, I contacted support@samsunguk.zendesk.com . I was relieved that at least they replied and even had some hope when they said they understood and trying to fix it with necessary team. The email trail then went on for more that 2 months with me asking for an update every two weeks. I even got a proactive auto reminder on the ticker, to ask then for an update in Dec 2021.  A reply would come and it would be from random person saying it being worked on. I then gave up in end of Jan 2022 and emailed them saying I give up.  It was past the 2 month eligibility period as well. I did get a reply to that even saying the right team would get my feedback. Then no communication after.

Like I did through out the 2 month period after Nov 2021, I went and checked the Upgrade Lounge today (09-Feb-2022) to suddenly find that I now have access to upgrade lounge but only to show that I am past the 2 month eligible period. I have been battling customer services the whole period to say this exact thing and then once I get the access it says I am past the period and not eligible for the 12 month upgrade and only eligible end of the year. Seriously Samsung? The only thing I did wrong was to buy a phone on Samsung Upgrade programme which Samsung could not keep the promise on. Repenting everyday for wasting money on the ***** Upgrade Programme.  

I know Samsung as usual will not own up or fix anything. Its always break fix.

For now I have emailed back the team on my original support ticket on email.

Web capture_9-2-2022_134329_www.samsung.com.jpeg

After 8 years with Samsung I am trying to distance myself from the Brand.  Right from ordering problems on their website to this experience with upgrade programme has been thoroughly painful. I bought a Sony TV instead of Samsung one. Ditched my Samsung Galaxy watch as Samsung pay was hopeless.  I stopped using Smartthings and manage everything on Alexa and Google Assistant. I ditched smart tags for Air tag on my bike. I bought a iPad instead of Samsung tab. No Galaxy Book for me either. Got a Huawei Matebook instead.  This Samsung phone is the last bit I have but Samsung seems to have nailed it to the grave as well.

I know there are a lot of people who has gone through this.  I am not expecting any solution from this post.  Its just that I had to write this to get it to a wider Samsung audience.

9 REPLIES 9
jimsouthstand
Pioneer
Options
Spot on with your experience, I actually emailed the Samsung CEO, which I know would have been opened by a 'Lacky' but that was my first reply, but reply was all I got! My big question is why do the MSM not report about this lack of communication with customers after purchase? 🤔 Still wondering if I should buy a S22 as my S20 Ultra is working fine?
Blu3Str3ak
Journeyman
Options
From experience, guess I'll pass the CEO bit then 👍🏼 I think Samsung has settled in for win some loose some policy. Then they limit customers at tech level with Exynos models for Europe. That ways not much to choose from either 😜
jimsouthstand
Pioneer
Options
Just retracted my anger and pre ordered the S22 Ultra, traded in my S20 Ultra as the wife didn't want it, I really like their phone's , so thought I would give them 1 last chance, reneged on their upgrade program, just bought the phone, which dosent have a charger, £35,or a Pen,£99, which they have gone on about? Hopefully I won't regret this?
DJ99
First Poster
Options
Wishing you for the best!
0 Likes
Jonny1309
Explorer
Options

It does come with the pen but not a charger.

Blu3Str3ak
Journeyman
Options
Ha ha! Njoy your phone. I am thinking sitting this year out seeing reviews on new Snapdragon as well. Maybe Exynos is good. I was thinking of trying a Dimensity for a change 😜 Anyways good luck and hope it goes well 👍🏼
jimsouthstand
Pioneer
Options
Thanks, couldn't find any mention of it so thought it was an optional extra 🤔👍
0 Likes
Blu3Str3ak
Journeyman
Options
The Samsung upgrade Saga continues. They want me to upgrade in Jan 2023 which is 3 months after my 24 month upgrade programme ends in Oct 2022. Should have guessed its a prank when customer care emailed me saying you should now be able to upgrade 😜 sick jokers!Screenshot_20220216-080659_Edge_103731_1644998819.jpg
0 Likes
Blu3Str3ak
Journeyman
Options

The Saga kept getting murkier as Samsung Klarna plays ping pong with customer...

@jimsouthstand I too bit the bullet and pre-ordered a S22 Ultra 😛
My S20 FE 5g was getting old working off the memory card, screen not decent enough and camera being below par.  Not sure I ever liked the pics I took on it.

Being sceptical from the previous upgrade issue and being on the wall, I ended up late pre-ordering the 512 GB version and got the phone a bit late than the rest - by start of April. Usual order problems on Samsung website. Even a free stand case free not in stock! So waited a few more days for the order to get submitted.
When I got the phone eventually I loved it. Had no issues that was in the news, the exynos was no deal breaker I can see. Its fast and got more RAM. The phone is fast without any memory card. Touch pen takes you back to the old days of note but well improved. Free buds, disney plus - what an offer!

Then came the upgrade saga again. A prepaid envelope from Samsung to send my old phone back as part of upgrade deal. Samsung confirmed receipt of the trade in phone and that they instructed Klarna for account to be put on hold while they settled. I later saw Klarna also confirm account on hold for the trade in phone and new payment account for the my S22 Ultra.

Like a bunch of sick Jokers playing Fools day in April with customers, Samsung never settled. Klarna never got the idea and all I got was a message that account was not settled and my hold on my was lifted back for monthly payment collection.

So Sherlock me had to contact Klarna who said Samsung never confirmed settlement for Traded in phone. So I went back to the very responsive front desk at Samsung Zendesk support who took note and said they have assigned my issue to the correct dept and that they will come back.

As with no comebacks, from experience I knew I had to keep chasing. After a while Samsung said they have settled Klarna but Klarna had collected the payment a day after this. So customer loving Samsung did the usual to me - "we have settled, you can sort with Klarna" bye!

I went to Klarna customer service who ask for a tonne of info like Samsung receipt of phone info, dates of payments etc , payment screenshots etc and confirm they have logged it in as a returns issue.

Result! I think as I check my Klarna account after a few days and I see they marked my old phone account closed- all settled as of April. So which black hole took my May payment? I did a few checks on my Klarna accounts only to get a sinking feeling seeing there is a returns issue logged and a resulting hold against my new phone's account 😕 I check the old traded in phone account and see its closed as of April - with no sign of the May payment even as of end of May.

Now that's 2 issues for 1 issue I try to sort with Klarna.

Eventually after double checking all payments and settlements on Klarna , I get in touch with Klarna customer service that they for a have a wrong return issue hold on new account and asking about the May payment that vanished. Only to get a response that they never got the payment.  So screenshot again and new issue logged in and removed hold on new account.

Thought I'd post this after its sorted but then again what's the point when nothing is ever sorted with Samsung and Klarna. They repeat it with customers every year and get away with it. So my point of this post was to get this out for a read to as many eyeballs possible. May help or a caution to someone.

I have decided not more to use Samsung Upgrade programme after this. No cashback on it. No discount code. You just need to get what Samsung will full price it on their website. Samsung did throw a bone and with a no choice offer for a lesser price only on the black version of the phone which was a few quid less. There were a lot of reviews showing scratched back of this Black version of the phone. I was anyways going to use it with case so I was ok. I am sure this new S22 ultra will last me a few years.

I am convinced nothing will change with Samsung customer experience. Its from my year after year of experience with Samsung ordering a new phone to customer service after. Usual glam sham of launch with only shoddy experience and aftersales service through out and after. They just don't care enough about customer experience after selling.

0 Likes