Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text messaging over Wi-Fi

(Topic created on: 03-03-2023 06:28 PM)
Squiff
First Poster
Options

Hello. I wonder if somebody could help me, please. I am looking to buy a refurbished Galaxy S20 5G (a newer model is beyond my budget). The crucial thing is that it must have text messaging over Wi-Fi, as I work from home and we have virtually no signal where I live. I currently have a Galaxy S6, which handles calling over Wi-Fi but not texting.

There are plenty of S20 5G phones available on-line, but they seem to be obtained from all over the world, and therefore can be any of the many reference numbers (e.g. SM-G981U1, SM-G981F, SM-G981, etc, etc). Can I assume that all of the different reference number phones can handle texting over Wi-Fi, or is there a definitive list somewhere which will tell me which references can and which cannot?

I am with Vodafone in the UK, and my tariff offers calling and texting over Wi-Fi.

I hope that all makes sense! Any advice gratefully received.

0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3
ynneL
Troubleshooter
Options
It's down to the carrier itself if it supports texts over WiFi I have a Vodafone SIM and they do support SMS over WiFi
0 Likes
ynneL
Troubleshooter
Options
Also Vodafone have listed that it's compatible on their websiteScreenshot_20230303_120557_Samsung Internet_1000051883_1677845157.jpg
0 Likes
Squiff
First Poster
Options

Thanks, ynnel.  Yes, I am aware that Vodafone supports texts over WiFi, and that it lists one variant of the S20 5G (the G981B, which is, presumably, the variant that Vodafone supplies) but my question is do all the other variants (G981U1, G981F, G981, etc) support it. 

0 Likes