Did you mean: 

Original topic:

telephoto lens problem?

(Topic created on: 22/04/20 16:04)
Rumplestiltskin
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

What is this sudden drop of quality  ? Happens all the time at any zoom level  . It seems like telephoto lens stops suddenly and shows a digital zoom .What is this sudden drop of quality ? Happens all the time at any zoom level . It seems like telephoto lens stops suddenly and shows a digital zoom .

11 REPLIES 11
antonis1000
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S20 Series
i have the same exact problem the telephoto doesnt start at 4x zoom but it starts on the 10x zoom...
Bilalius
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

It's the thing i hate the most about this phone. This happens because the AI is programmed like that, because the zoom lens has a 3.5 aperture it needs alot more light to take pa picture so if the AI detects that the zoom lens doesnt have enough light ( from the range of 4x - 10x zoom ) it automaticly switches to the main camera ( 108 MP ) and its actually digital zoom. The most annoying thing is i had alot of cases i wanted to use the optical 4x zoom but the camera didnt let me because the phone thought there is not enough light but in my cases there was more than enough and i had to struggle to trick the AI somehow to switch to telephoto lens. I dont get it why they just dont add the feature to turn off this automatic switch between cameras because it works very very bad.

EDIT : Also the switching of cameras occurs also when the telephoto lens can't focus close enough so it just decides to switch to the digital zoom of the main camera even though clearly the telephoto has a better focus at some cases. Just wondering why i rushed to buy this phone because if i waited a bit longer i definitely would not have bought this phone. Shame on you samsung i didnt think a day would come that i would say thi but apple has outperformed you in every possible way with the iphone.

Rumplestiltskin
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S20 Series
Unfortunately yeah Samsung failed so hard .
Yet they act like they don't care
which we know they don't care actually lol
Exynos with all its well known problems,
we pay more to get less .
Even when they thought to make it up ,they offered 50% pay back for USA only lol.
Camera problems with no response.
I think my journey with samsung has come to an end lol
Just wanted to make sure my phone wasn't a defective piece but a general problem.
Crimean
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S20 Series
Same issue. However it appeared after ATCT firmware upgrade. Before it worked perfectly. Hope it will be fixed.
Bilalius
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S20 Series
Are you sure ? Because i domt remember using tbat much the telephoto lens before the update because the weather was very bad and i didnt take that many pictures. I just hate the fact that it changes to the main camera zoom by itself when cleaely the telephoto lens has better quality
0 Likes
Crimean
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S20 Series
Yes, right after I bought the phone, I made tests with different zooms and was using mac keyboard as object which was close enough to me. I remember for sure that 4x and 5x zooms worked fine.

By the way, another thing I noticed, that there no 2x optical zoom... When you switch to 2x zoom it is digital zoom always (photo or video mode). On my opinion it is too strange since we have 108 MP main cam. Why just not crop it?
Bilalius
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S20 Series
But i think you arw wrong because i updated to atct yesterday and even befora that the sam problem was present. I think its built in the camera software so they have to make an update specifficaly for the camera as soon as possible like they made it for the autofocus.

Well the telephoto zoom range is from 4x, 5x ( optical ) amd then everything aboce that is hybrid zoom so when you want to zoom 2x or 3x it is actually a cropped in version of the main camera thats why its *****ty quality when it switches to it from the telephoto. I am just mad because i want to use the telephoto for close up shots because of its focal length but it wont let us because of the stupid software of samsung interfering
0 Likes
Crimean
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S20 Series
May be Photo app's version matter. But I noticed "broken" zoom after ATCT. And yes - I really like use 4x, 5x zoom on close objects too :smiling-face: Why we need to rely on an AI in this case... From the other hand 10x zoom works fine... I hope next step of developers will no be turning off the 10x zoom, but give us 4x and 5x zooms :smiling-face:

As I see 2x and 3x zooms - just overscale and not crop as it could be.
0 Likes
Bilalius
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S20 Series
I can assure you that the zoom problem is here waaay before the atct update trust me, 10x zoom works fine because the digital zoom of the main camera cannot zoom 10x so it switches to the telephoto lens even though the quality is terrible, the 2x and 3x zoom are cropped because any form of digital zoom is a crop in the middle of the picture, also if you actually want to shoot 108 MP you have to turn it manualy on.
0 Likes