Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Suggestion - Burst shutter on volume button long press ?

(Topic created on: 11-03-2020 08:58 PM)
Majorj0nny
Pathfinder
Options

One thing im struggling with is taking selfie burst mode while running. 

On my previous s10+ you could just hold the shutter button for burst mode on any camera, or, hold volume up or down for the same thing. 

Ive noticed on the s20ultra, the single press volume buttons still seem to take single shots, but burst mode is confined to a drag down motion on the onscreen shutter button. Works fine for rear camera shots or steady selfie shots, but as you can imagine, trying to do this while running across fields is a little awkward and im finding I need double jointed fingers! 

The volume button method was great to allow for some stability in the hand as I could grip the phone securely. 

Ive made the suggestion to samsung so hopefully if enough people have the same experience i should think they could update this in a furture software update. fingers crossed (or dislocated... as mine are fast becoming)  

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
FXSpectre
Apprentice
Options

They've just added volume key burst mode to the S20 as of the latest update as well

View solution in context

27 REPLIES 27
AntS
Options

Hi @Majorj0nny

Sounds like a great idea to me for the Ultra. I've put this forwards for our R&D team - and will let you know what they say. :smiling-face::thumbs-up-sign-emoji-modifier-fitzpatrick-type:

(And lol @ the fingers being dislocated versus crossed.)

AntS
Options

@Majorj0nny , The developers have got back to us:

'"Long press on shutter button works as recording videos, Quick Take.
Regarding long press on volume button, it supposed to be the same.
But there is limitation of microphones that can't support volume control and sound at the same time.
So it's hard to support burst shot by long press on volume button."

By which they mean that the volume button can only be made to do a limited amount of things (I asked for some clarification on that). Their mention of "Quick Take" AKA 'Single Take' there probably means that the addition of that feature on the S20 accounts for why the burst shot user interface is different to the S10.

But I'd be interested in hearing more from other users regarding the S20's burst shot user interface.

Majorj0nny
Pathfinder
Options
Thanks for that. I can see that I guess, but perhaps another option would be a third selection option for the power button (side key as it's known in the options) ... Currently you can set that to choose between long press activating Bixby OR the traditional power panel. How about Bixby, power, or burst ?

I'm finding the only safe way to operate the shutter slide function while running is to hold the phone upsidedown , therefore having a full hold on the phone at the same time.
0 Likes
FXSpectre
Apprentice
Options

I'm in the same boat regarding the volume key burst mode. It's a feature that needs to be brought back asap. Excuses about it being difficult don't really make sense - The code that made it happen in the S10 and every other samsung S phone for the last 5 or more years will also work just as well on the S20. It's not like holding down the volume button while in the camera app does anything at the moment - it just waits until you release it and then takes a single shot. So changing it isn't going to overwrite any other useful functionality.

Majorj0nny
Pathfinder
Options
I raised this via the feedback button on the camera settings also today, the reply was along the lines "burst mode is meant for stationary use only to take pictures of quickly moving objects rather than being used when you are moving, due to the shutter speed pictures would be too blury if you were moving" not really what I was getting at, sounded more like an excuse not to add the feature than anything. Plus, ive find burst mode to work great for selfies when I run, compared to single shots. It's difficult to frame a shot easily while doing a million other things running or cycling at the same time, so I found my single shots would usually be distorted, off-centre, blury even. Though burst mode, sure there would be lots of similar problems, but the sheer amount of pictures means there's bound to be a few that are perfect. Testing this today my burst shots are clear mostly than single shots while running. Just super uncomfortable trying to take them currently.
0 Likes
Photobuff
First Poster
Options

Used the old burst mode function all the time to capture the movements of small children.  If I want video I will switch to video mode.  Now I sometimes get video when I want a picture.  Please bring the old functionality back. 

crazymarketer
Student
Options

Exactly my issue. I have the S10 but running OneUI 2.1 

I used to use the burst to take photos of my fast-moving child as well, and I also used the volume button underwater to take some stunning shots that would not have been possible with the onscreen buttons or using the single photo by one press version. 

Please at least give us an option to revert back to long press on the shutter button or the volume buttons taking bursts. 

Jayrod
First Poster
Options

Totally agree!!! Went to go take a burst photo of my daughter only to find out a minute later it only took 1 pic.

After digging a bit I noticed the whole single take part of the app. I am really disappointed that you can no longer take burst photos via the volume key (able to do one handed) as being a parent your hands are always full! I know they are trying to push the whole single take stuff on us, but if I wanted to shoot a video I would do so. Also I don't want some AI choosing which photos I see and which ones I don't. I will make that decision, thank you.

The functionality to take pictures via the volume key is still there, just no burst. Should be easy for developers to re add that feature. And not for nothing, I hate that this addition was packed into an update which I had no choice but to do to keep the security on my phone up to date

Basar
First Poster
Options

Same here...

I use remote control to take burst mode pictures..Now its impossible to use it. Please revert it back...

0 Likes