Did you mean: 

Original topic:

Speaker sound quality on S20+

(Topic created on: 15/03/20 17:16)
Lava087
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

I received my Galaxy S20+ which I pre-ordered as my O2 Refresh upgrade back in February and I've got to say that I'm deeply disappointed with the sound quality on the speaker.

I have a Galaxy S10 standard model and the speaker on that sounds much better than on the S20+, it sounds tinny and distorted at high volumes and there doesn't seem to be any kind of bass or rich sound to the speaker when Dolby Atmos is switched on, unlike on the S10.

Anyone else had this trouble?

All in all, I'm not impressed and I'm probably going to return this device.

Phone: Samsung Galaxy A71
Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e
Watch: Samsung Galaxy Watch Active
Carrier: O2
134 REPLIES 134
Firehawk
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

What did you expect O2 diagnostic check to do? Tell you it's got a defect? 

The speaker in the S20 is garbage. It's a hardware issue.

No diagnostic is going to come up with a result of 'oh. The hardware used is inferior. Our apologies. Let us upgrade your speaker'.

The test will only check to see if the phone is functioning as it should. And as it should is as it is right now. 

Distortion, no bass etc etc. 

Lava087
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S20 Series
I'm only telling you what they told me
0 Likes
Kjt57
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

the sound is the same on the ultra,very tinny, ***** for a phone that price

I

0 Likes
Lava087
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S20 Series
Well I've now arranged a replacement S20+ and if I'm not happy with that, then it's going back and I'm either downgrading to the S10+ or I'll get the Galaxy A90 5G as my friend has that handset and she thinks it's great.
0 Likes
Lava087
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

My replacement handset came this morning. The speaker definitely sounds a lot better than the one I've just sent back to O2. I noticed a difference instantly when I played a video and then played some music. Dolby Atmos is turned on too so feeling happier about my S20+ now! I suggest that everyone who is complaining about their speakers to just get a replacement because it could be a faulty speaker like mine obviously was.

Firehawk
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S20 Series
Does it sound like it is has bass?

Have you owned the S10 so that I can ask you how it compares?
0 Likes
Lava087
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

@Firehawk it's not quite as good at the S10 speakers (I'm wondering if it needs a software tweak for the Dolby Atmos) but it definitely sounds a million times better than the one I sent back. It does have bass.

Kevv2288
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

I have an unlocked S20 and my speaker too sounds like ***** compared to my S10e. Turning off Dolby Atmos makes it sound better. I thought about exchanging it for another S20, but how did I know the new one will be any different? Also, when you do a warranty exchange, don't they give you a refurbished phone sometimes?

0 Likes
Azgardiosa
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

I'm glad to hear your replacement is better! However When I called O2 they're trying to tell me I will have to wait over 1 month for a delivery of a new handset because of this coronavirus rubbish!!!

I'm not too happy tbh,because I bet if I wanted to just outright purchase one, it would be here the next day!

I'm going into the o2 store tomorrow and pose as a new customer to see if any are in store in stock and see what they say....

They have put a note on the system to say they will honor a replacement when stock arrives, but they won't be notifying me when that is! I just have to keep checking in every couple of weeks....

😶😶😶😶😶

Definitely not happy with the quality of this phones speakers. For such a "premium" device it should be ALOT better 

Dolz
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Bought my phone at Argos on Wednesday. Noticed the speaker would go on and off during calls. And sometimes echoes of my own voice. Infact, I had to exit a meeting because my speaker was sending back echoes to the entire group. Took it in for a swap yesterday and was quite excited about the ease of exchange.

Tried making calls again yesterday and realised I was back to the same problem. Whoever I am talking to just notifies me they can see my mouth moving but not sound is coming through. Then I tap pond the base of my phone and it gets corrected. How the heck the I pay so much for such crappy phone 

0 Likes