Did you mean: 

Original topic:

Speaker sound quality on S20+

(Topic created on: 11-03-2020 04:08 AM)
Lava087
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

I received my Galaxy S20+ which I pre-ordered as my O2 Refresh upgrade back in February and I've got to say that I'm deeply disappointed with the sound quality on the speaker.

I have a Galaxy S10 standard model and the speaker on that sounds much better than on the S20+, it sounds tinny and distorted at high volumes and there doesn't seem to be any kind of bass or rich sound to the speaker when Dolby Atmos is switched on, unlike on the S10.

Anyone else had this trouble?

All in all, I'm not impressed and I'm probably going to return this device.

Phone: Samsung Galaxy A71
Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e
Watch: Samsung Galaxy Watch Active
Carrier: O2
134 REPLIES 134
Azgardiosa
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Hi ya

I also preordered and just got my s20+. I haven't had much time to test completely, but I've just made a call on loudspeaker and the quality was surely disappointing! My s9 had better quality. I am going to play around with it a little more, but at the moment, I am also highly considering returning the device

mrwinemore
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Maybe you have faulty phones? I had recently Note10+ and Galaxy S10+ and I am still using S10+ as my second device. Stating that S20+ is inferior in terms of speaker performance is kinda interesting. I am having S20+ 5G EU Exynos variant and I must say that the sound quality that comes from S20+ speakers is clearly superior, richer lows, mids and highs. And overall you can hear that speakers are noticably louder. The best thing about S20+ speakers is that stereo separation is almost 50/50% (left / right spekaers) which is something impressive! :winking-face:

Jamesfriend82
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

I've noticed this too and am really disappointed ... I found that turning Atmos off makes the quality much closer to what the S10+ puts out. Although I want the Atmos on.

I still have my 10+ so compared it with Atmos on for both and definitely poor on the 20+

Could a software update sort this?? 

Lava087
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

If I switch Dolby Atmos off, it makes my speaker quieter. I was watching a YouTube video on my S20+ last night and I had to switch it off. It made my ears hurt, the sound was so tinny and the woman speaking sounded high pitched, which she didn't when I watched it from my S10.

I have booked an appointment with an O2 Guru at my local O2 Store for Saturday afternoon, I'm taking it back. I'm really disappointed but I don't think I'll be getting another if this problem is being experienced by other users.

London2tim
Voyager
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

i found mine to be better than on my s10

Azgardiosa
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

I find it nowhere near as superior than even my s9 was! The loudspeaker is significantly quieter. I am really hoping a software update fixes it, otherwise I will be returning this device. I wanted the ultra anyway....so maybe I will get that one

Firehawk
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

I have the s20 (not the plus) and the speakers suck on it too. No bass and distorts at moderate volumes. 

Turning Dolby atoms on is a joke. It makes it much louder and tinny and annoying. Then it REALLY distorts. 

For an 800 great British pound premium phone this is insane. 

Can't stand the curves on the display on the s10 though, so I'm stuck with this. 

Lava087
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

@Firehawk I'm wondering if it's worth travelling 14 miles to my nearest O2 Shop on Saturday then. If it's a widespread issue, maybe they'll just fix it with a software update? Mine sounds like yours, very distorted at high volumes, not as loud as the S10 and also no bass.

I might drop Samsung a DM on Twitter tomorrow and see what they have to say and then if I get no joy, I'll go over to the O2 Shop on Saturday as per my Guru appointment.

husniadil
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Finally I found this. Just to make sure that I'm not alone. It also happens to me as well. It hurts my ears 😔

I found that the speakers on my old S10 (which I traded it for S20) are just way better than on my brand new S20.

Please fix it, Samsung!