Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Soft Update for S20 series with VOD firmware.

(Topic created on: 23-04-2021 05:45 PM)
GalaxyAsh
Voyager
Options
Software update available for Galaxy S20 series with VOD firmware  ( Vodafone ). Bringing the April 2021 security patch and 159mb in size seemingly just the usual security and overall performance and stability improvements. Screenshot included. 

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7
Kris G
Voyager
Options

yea, got it yesterday as well, but i'm no vodafone customer, my phone has unlocked SIM and i am truly a Telefonica customer, in this case O2
176849832_5400066570065137_6241605520974677456_n.jpg

Huawei P8, Mate10Pro, P40Pro;
Samsung S20Ultra;
Xiaomi MiNote10;
0 Likes
GalaxyAsh
Voyager
Options
SWC is SwissComm Switzerland. Almost all Dual Sim phones are unlocked and I manually flashed this firmware for WiFi calling on this specific phone, its original CSC is BTU. I dont take out contract phones.
0 Likes
Kris G
Voyager
Options

yea, i bough some of my phone in Switzerland....which i guess is the reason....but the phone didn't switch to Telecom nor Vodafone bcoz the SIM card is from Telefonica , but when i insert a Telecom SIM card it says 'updated service provider' or something like that, but it did just once;
yea, only Samsung does, my Xiaomi and both Huawei phones are on global/chinese/european version, hell knows from what server they get the updates.

But, unlike Samsung, on the Xiaomi and Huawei i can switch the 'region' which unlocks various apps in various languages without touching the software, so i can choose what spam i want to see 😅

....so WiFi calling was not enabled for one of the SIM cards? or for none?
i never had a phone with something like that, but if you have dual SIM then WiFi calling may not work bcoz you have to assign a google account to the 'Duo' app;
unless it was grayed out....

You know, Google Duo did work on my Google-service-less Huawei P40Pro, until Huawei decided to brick more of the google apps on their devices

Samsung S20Ultra;
Xiaomi MiNote10;
0 Likes
GalaxyAsh
Voyager
Options
Its the carriers that blocked WiFi callin, nothingto do with Samsung, its enabled now but I haven't reverted because I use S21 Ultra full time now. You can change your region on any phone, its nothing to do with the manufacturer. With respect, I think you have a lot to learn about how versatile Samsung smartphones are. Here's an example of what S21 Ultra UI looks like 👍🏻

Screenshot_20210423-160513_One UI Home_11969.jpg

Screenshot_20210423-160904_Phone_11971.jpg

Screenshot_20210423-160858_Phone_11970.jpg

0 Likes
Kris G
Voyager
Options

ofc you can change region in any phone, except in Xiaomi and Huawei it unlocks apps, maybe features too, who knows;
you have to google 'Xiaomi region settings'

for exaample "

UK: Shaking off the adverts, but losing the themes

By choosing the UK region, you remove all ads from MIUI 12. Unfortunately, as a side-effect you'll lose the opportunity to customize your smartphone with themes: it will vanish from the settings. If you want it back, change the region again and reboot the device....."

so as you can see, changing the region on a Xiaomi phone has same results as what you did to your phone by flashing firmware;

as for S21 series, yea, it looks different, you can change themes and icons on any phone;

but i wonder about the camera app, in case of Xiaomi it was clearly made to allow changing settings quickly, unlike other phones it allows to use any reasonable settings with any lens, that is why i can use 108MP on almost all settings, idk why Samsung nor Huawei is able to achieve that;

but as you may notice, Huawei in pro mode has a ridiculous ISO setting, that makes objects in close range at midnight with zero light, appear as if it's day...but it's just close range
Xiaomi MiNote10Xiaomi MiNote10Huawei P40proHuawei P40pro

Samsung S20Ultra;
Xiaomi MiNote10;
0 Likes
GalaxyAsh
Voyager
Options
They can do that I'm the camera app, most other manufacturers use Samsung's own sensors, if not Samsung', its Sony's. And you can Theme any Android phone, but the point is, it's not just a theme, it's a full UI change, and WITHOUT a custom launcher. Xioami and Huawei phones are a little different because they have to make optimised software specific for China, and then a Global version for everywhere else. BBK seem different though for whatever reason, although they have just announced that one of their brands will be getting the others software in China. I forget which is which.
0 Likes
Kris G
Voyager
Options

"Both sensors are made by Samsung. The S20 Ultra relies on the ISOCELL Bright HM1 sensor and the Mi Note 10 makes use of the ISOCELL Bright HMX sensor. Spec for spec, the two sensors are almost identical, but important distinctions are buried deep in the feature list."

both phones use Samsung sensors, yet Samsung fails to use it's own to it's full potential 🤣
MiNote10 took awesome pics right out of the box, S20Ultra more than 1year later got enough update to match that quality in daylight;

btw. Samsung closed their factory in China, so they don't really bother by making a different versions....

as for Hauwei, is making their own OS, apparently it will be called 'Harmony' , with region settings to 'China' it will work 'everywhere' too

Samsung S20Ultra;
Xiaomi MiNote10;
0 Likes