Did you mean: 

Original topic:

Selfie camera issues on galaxy s20 fe

(Topic created on: 26/11/20 13:31)
Leah123
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

I just got this phone 2 days ago and started to notice that the selfie camera lens looks like it's expanding like it's taking a selfie shot when I'm not even using the camera!  Is this an AI type situation??  It's very unnerving.   I can't  seem to find any info about it on the internet!

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6
gawjie
Options
Galaxy S20 Series
my partner has the same phone I haven't been able to find anything on it, he said it kept zooming in and out when he was unlocking the phone 🤷‍♀️
Leah123
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Mine seems to do it all the time.  Every minute or so, especially while I'm in my apps or online!  Very unnerving.  I wonder if we have a bug on our phones?

0 Likes
AntS
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Hi @Leah123 and @gawjie!

I had a check into the info we had at our end, and found out that the punch hole/front camera expands and contracts to regulate interference from light (kind of like the iris and pupil in eyes).

If the Smart Stay feature is enabled,  the front camera periodically activates to check if you're looking at the screen, and so the camera may expand at times even if you're not using it. If you want to, you can switch Smart Stay off by: Settings > Advanced features > Motion and gestures> Smart stay. 

Hope that helps! 😊 :thumbs-up-sign-emoji-modifier-fitzpatrick-type:

Leah123
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Thank you so much Art!  You've eased my mind and helped me so much!  I was very paranoid about that, but I feel much better about it now and I understand why it's an important feature.  Especially when I'm just reading and not touching the screen, it prevents it from fading  out and closing the screen on me! 

Sincerely grateful:)

JAMES4578
Superuser I
Superuser I
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

@Leah123 @gawjie  Hope it was not too spooky 😂

obviously @AntS  has provided a precise explanation as to how  to Smart Stay works,  though it may not suit everyone.   😀  

Some  information on Samsung's site  https://www.samsung.com/za/support/mobile-devices/what-is-the-smart-stay-feature-on-my-samsung-galax... 

Leah123
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Thank you James!  😊