Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Original topic:

Samsung S20/Ultra - Poor phone if you require decent audio playback!

(Topic created on: 18/08/20 12:27)
McCol
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

It seems that the current range of handsets has the same issue as previous models if you want to use decent audio gear for listening to your music.

I have tried various USB AMP/DACs on on the S20 Ultra and they don't work as they should.  Lots of pops and crackles when listening to music.  

For those having the same issue, the problem lies in the way Android drivers handle sample rates and the use of external DACs.  Most other companies allow for this to be bypassed when using external devices but not Samsung.  There is a workaround with the USB Audio Player Pro app, this app bypasses the Android drivers and uses it own however it doesn't work with all music streaming services or video services.  

I have tried numerous supposed workarounds but none of them work.  Samsung are aware of the issue but choose to do nothing, instead using the stock answer of not all devices will be compatible.  

Obviously this means that users are restricted to the poorer sound quality of wireless options.  

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6
NoteGuyIreland
Voyager
Options
Galaxy S20 Series
I think you are in a very small minority here, not many people are bothered that much about sound from a phone and for 99% (myself included) the Note with a pair of Sony wf-1000xm3 are more than good enough.
Jasonseery
Smooth Operator
Options
Galaxy S20 Series
I have to say my s10 with Sony wireless headphones are great even with the akg headphones that came with the phone are very loud
0 Likes
McCol
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

I agree that the wireless is good, I use Sony, Sennheiser and Master and Dynamic wireless earbuds however they don't get close to the quality provided by a good wired earphone especially when using an external DAC/AMP. 

Samsung has let a small section of it's customers down with it's lack of support over this.  Great camera, amazing screen for video viewing etc but it's no good as an alternative to a decent audio player.   Sony, LG and other brands all work with no issues when using OTG cables and DAC/AMPs however a £1400 flagship can't...it's laughable really. 

McCol
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

It may well be a small minority but it's still poor from Samsung when other brands don't have the same issue.  

0 Likes
chickytito
Observer
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

I don't believe he is in a small minority. I would also like the phone to have better audio for the price. I am sure it's a majority, not a minority. Regardless, minorities' opinions also matter and the phone indeed could and should be better. This is one of those issues where Samsung might lose me as a customer to Apple, and I've always disliked Apple.

McCol
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Another update has come and gone and still the Samsung S20 is the last phone you should buy if you want decent music playback.  Shocking from Samsung.  

I've been waiting 3 weeks for Tech support to get back to me but I know they won't as they are just choosing to ignore the problem.

0 Likes