Original topic:

Samsung Galaxy S20 Plus NFC seems to be temperamental

(Topic created on: 04/12/20 16:23)
SamsonKnowledge
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Hi,

A few months ago I got a Samsung Galaxy S20 Plus and since I started using, which was immediately after getting it, it has been difficult to use the contactless payment feature. Previously, I had a Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus (I miss that phone) and I had no problems with it. With the S9 Plus I could hold it over a payment device (or whatever they are called) at a distance of about 6 cm and I could make a payment. Now, with the S20 Plus I regularly have to place the phone onto the payment device for the feature to work! I appreciate that there are different payment devices and it is important to hold the centre of your phone near the part that 'reads' your phone, but there is such a huge difference in the performance of the phones that how I have to use the S20 Plus is not acceptable. Can anyone enlighten me as to what is causing the problem? And, more importantly, how to solve it? I assume it is a hardware problem and I will have to get the phone replaced. It is becoming very tedious, irritating, and even embarrassing (other people in a shop thinking that my attempt to pay has been declined!). 

8 REPLIES 8
pickmybrain
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S20 Series
Do you happen to have a really thick case over your phone?

Does your phone charge wirelessly?

Are you able to use Android beam and transfer data to another device supporting this feature successfully?
0 Likes
tracey12
Just Browsing
Options
Galaxy S20 Series
Google pay doesn't work either i have checked my setting aswerll.its frustrating as I'd used apple pay all the time when I had my iPhone. so I would to like to know that too
0 Likes
Pugs1957
Superuser I
Superuser I
Options
Galaxy S20 Series
There are numerous posts on here about Pay not working. For some reason Google haven't certified the device. I'm sure this will be resolved quickly, Samsung Pay, however is working.
0 Likes
Bradleigh
Voyager
Options
Galaxy S20 Series
They dont certify devices that are running the beta software.. thats why goole pay does not work..

Since latest stable update it works again because we have certified software not like BETA..!

We never can use Google pay on a beta build because you its not a play protected device..
0 Likes
SamsonKnowledge
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

I do not think my case is really thick, besides, I am now using a case that is very similar to the one I used on my S9 Plus and there was no problem with using the S9 Plus for contactless payments. 

My phone charges wirelessly with no difficulty.

I have not used Android beam nor have I tried to transfer data wirelessly.

By the way, I am using Google Pay. 

0 Likes
SamsonKnowledge
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

To be clear, I do not think that Google Pay is causing the problem as the payments go through, the problem is the ease with which the payments are made. Read the original post again - it details what the problem is. If there is something I can change in the settings, in either Android or Google Pay - let me know. 

0 Likes
Pugs1957
Superuser I
Superuser I
Options
Galaxy S20 Series
Apologies, read your post again. Personally, as mentioned earlier, ir could well be the case. I tried a few different cases as I couldn't get wireless charging to work.
SamsonKnowledge
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

I will try that suggestion, but I do not think it is the case. As I said I am using the same case I used with my S9 Plus, it is the Spigel Tough Armor case. Obviously, each case is for the relevant phone. 

0 Likes