Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Samsung Galaxy S20+ gets very, very hot...

(Topic created on: 04-07-2021 10:51 PM)
Sahand_K
Journeyman
Options

Hello, there.

My Samsung Galaxy S20+ gets hot on the back and the front of the screen after low use, and it gets very hot immediately when playing games and recording videos. On top of this, the battery sinks even faster than normal. In general, this is a BIG problem for a phone, especially an almost brand new Samsung smartphone. In my opinion, playing games and recording videos are two big features of a phone... 

I've done some quick research and found that this problem might have to do with the very poor Exynos chip in the phone. Have anyone any idea how I can fix this problem? Is it even fixable? If not, how come that a +$1000-phone performs so poorly and there's no solution for a serious problem like this? 

32 REPLIES 32
Sahand_K
Journeyman
Options

Hello, DragonWolf5589

Quick answer: YES, this issue has been fixed (kinda).

For your information, I do still experience a sudden temperature increase when using multiple processes at the same time with a low battery. Though I think this is fairly normal. And yes, I also had to put the phone in the fridge...

I do not know how or when the issue got fixed, but I think the latest software update has something to do with it.

0 Likes
Xee0
Student
Options

This was happening to me today - no case, ambient around 27*C - phone started getting hot. I turned on power saving, restarted few times, put it into airplane mode and finally into total power saving with all apps turned off. It said I have 2 days of battery life left. Meanwhile phone was pumping heat into my palm and battery was going 1% per two minutes. Close to being really frustrated and started fiddling with random power settings. Eventually I turned off fast charging and super fast charging - not that it should have anything to do with this, right? Wrong. Phone cooled down in 10 seconds and stays cool. Maybe someone should check this out. Looks like serious bug.

Sahand_K
Journeyman
Options

Hi,

Okay! I didn't know about this. I rarely use fast -- let alone superfast -- charging, so I don't think this was the issue for me. Still, this might prove helpful for others! Thank you!!! 

0 Likes
Tracey72
First Poster
Options

I have read the other comments and suggestions of what to try to help this overheating issue. My settings were already on those suggested so that can't be the cause. I always get a Samsung galaxy and never had this issue with any other before. I dont use my phone constantly but the overheating is a real problem and it's too hot to handle. This happens whatever I do, a phone call makes this hot after 5 mins and I have to end the call. You can smell the heat it gives off and I have really worried that it will set on fire or something. Its ridiculous to have this phone with this issue that is an obvious fault with this model and have to not use certain functions it has because of this. For the amount this phone costs something needs to be done to sort this out or a replacement offered to have one you are able to use

0 Likes
TessM
Mastermind
Options

Hi @Tracey72 ,

I have sent you a message to get some more information about your case and passed it to the relevant department. Can you please check your inbox and respond to this?

0 Likes
Nathan24
Apprentice
Options

My Samsung galaxy S20 5G get very hot and back glass is falling off in top left and and battery not lasting as long.

Questions1
First Poster
Options

I have the same problem and samsung is not accountable. They should take back this model and give us something nirmal. Dont waste your money on this model

Sahand_K
Journeyman
Options

Hello, Nathan24.

This sounds very serious - especially the part about the back glass falling off.

In the past, I've had (bad) experiences with overheating, but not anymore. Somehow - I don't know the specific cause - this problem has been fixed. If the phone gets so hot that the back glass is falling off, I advise you to contact Samsung - because this is unacceptable!

0 Likes
Members_EIarR83
First Poster
Options

Hi to everyone. I am experiencing the same heat issue occasionally but today, after the last charge with the original charger the phone was so hot that I couldn't hold it, the main heat problem was at the back where the cameras are and on the opposite side of the buttons. I turned it off and it did start to cool down but after a while that I turned it on it started the heating issue again, it was so fast that temperature change that made me worry about safety. I have no clue about CPUs and chips but I know that this is a $1000 phone and it is a Samsung, not some cheap company and the only thing I am thinking now is "Why didn't I get an I-phone?". 

0 Likes
Sahand_K
Journeyman
Options

Hello, Members_ElarR83

I can relate so much to this - I (kinda) experienced the same!

My Samsung Galaxy S20 Plus often overheated after heavy use - I had to put it by the window or in the fridge! If I tried to charge the phone after using it for some time, it would cool off after quite a long while, which was very annoying. I understand that it's scary to hold the phone when it's running hot.

For this relatively high price (compared to other phones, excluding iPhones), it's expected that the phone should not be having this kind of an issue. However, I can, gladly, say that I haven't experienced any overheating issues for more than 3 months, even after heavy usage.

Tip: update to the latest software and see if the overheating is still an issue.