Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Samsung Galaxy S20+ gets very, very hot...

(Topic created on: 22-01-2021 03:06 PM)
Sahand_K
Journeyman
Options

Hello, there.

My Samsung Galaxy S20+ gets hot on the back and the front of the screen after low use, and it gets very hot immediately when playing games and recording videos. On top of this, the battery sinks even faster than normal. In general, this is a BIG problem for a phone, especially an almost brand new Samsung smartphone. In my opinion, playing games and recording videos are two big features of a phone... 

I've done some quick research and found that this problem might have to do with the very poor Exynos chip in the phone. Have anyone any idea how I can fix this problem? Is it even fixable? If not, how come that a +$1000-phone performs so poorly and there's no solution for a serious problem like this? 

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Solution
AndrewL
Options

@Sahand_K: I'm sorry to hear that you're having some issues with your Galaxy S20+. As the device has a slim design and high performance CPU, some heat can be expected when running multiple applications and features, however it shouldn't be too hot to handle. What I'd suggest is checking out the following energy saving tips in an effort to improve your overall battery life, and address any overheating issues you're having.

- Shut down all background apps when not in use via the Recent Apps button
- Turn off Wi-Fi, Mobile Data and Bluetooth when not in use
- Enable Power Saving Mode: Settings > Device Care > Battery > Power Mode > Select Medium or Maximum Power Saving.
- Reduce your screen brightness.

- Check for any available updates via Settings > Software Updates

- Uninstall any recently installed apps to ensure that the issue isn't stemming from an external source. 

View solution in context

Solution
Sahand_K
Journeyman
Options

Hello, again.

On January 28th, 2021, I downloaded Samsung's latest software update (today's date is 01/30/2021), and since then, my Samsung Galaxy S20 Plus has performed much better. It does get a bit hot after long periods of use or when playing games – this is normal for any phone - but nowhere near as hot as before. Before I couldn’t even record videos outside because it would get so, so hot – it’s wintertime in Sweden by the way.

I’m certain that it wasn't a "placebo-effect" of some sort nor that I imagined it because of the news of the poor Exynos-chip. The phone got so hot that I even had to open the window and let in the cold air to cool it off. However, as of now, I do not seem to be having a problem. I usually don't have 100% brightness on, but I still don't believe that the brightness was causing this problem. Even though the software update seemed to have "fixed" this, I still do not know what caused the problem and what "fixed" it. By the way, I didn't use "Power Saving Mode" nor did I uninstall any app, however, I did do the option to "Optimize performance".

Thank you. 

View solution in context

0 Likes
32 REPLIES 32
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

Nothing to do with the chip. If you use CPU intensive apps you will generate heat and of course your battery charge will fall faster. BTW a case can exacerbate this. 

Solution
AndrewL
Options

@Sahand_K: I'm sorry to hear that you're having some issues with your Galaxy S20+. As the device has a slim design and high performance CPU, some heat can be expected when running multiple applications and features, however it shouldn't be too hot to handle. What I'd suggest is checking out the following energy saving tips in an effort to improve your overall battery life, and address any overheating issues you're having.

- Shut down all background apps when not in use via the Recent Apps button
- Turn off Wi-Fi, Mobile Data and Bluetooth when not in use
- Enable Power Saving Mode: Settings > Device Care > Battery > Power Mode > Select Medium or Maximum Power Saving.
- Reduce your screen brightness.

- Check for any available updates via Settings > Software Updates

- Uninstall any recently installed apps to ensure that the issue isn't stemming from an external source. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options
it's got everything to do with the rubbish exynos chip...its logical
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options
i had no issue with my s20 + at all .... using it for over 9 months - very intesive using , gaming etc and never get any issue with overheating... maybe Guys maybe less watching comparing videos exynos vs snapdragon on youtube and benchmarks.... if those one doesnt exist - who will spot any difference??? problem with exynos is problem "placebo" .
i got home other samsung device with snap 865 5g and quess what? didnt spot any diference.... for years been using samsung devices and i know one thing - they are really good quality decices. ps. thats mine expirence and opinion. have a good day You all😀
0 Likes
DaveyG80
Explorer
Options
My stepson had this problem turned out his screen brightness was on 100%
Solution
Sahand_K
Journeyman
Options

Hello, again.

On January 28th, 2021, I downloaded Samsung's latest software update (today's date is 01/30/2021), and since then, my Samsung Galaxy S20 Plus has performed much better. It does get a bit hot after long periods of use or when playing games – this is normal for any phone - but nowhere near as hot as before. Before I couldn’t even record videos outside because it would get so, so hot – it’s wintertime in Sweden by the way.

I’m certain that it wasn't a "placebo-effect" of some sort nor that I imagined it because of the news of the poor Exynos-chip. The phone got so hot that I even had to open the window and let in the cold air to cool it off. However, as of now, I do not seem to be having a problem. I usually don't have 100% brightness on, but I still don't believe that the brightness was causing this problem. Even though the software update seemed to have "fixed" this, I still do not know what caused the problem and what "fixed" it. By the way, I didn't use "Power Saving Mode" nor did I uninstall any app, however, I did do the option to "Optimize performance".

Thank you. 

0 Likes
Arburon
Apprentice
Options

has the overheating issue been fixed after the Android 11 & One UI 3 update?

Sahand_K
Journeyman
Options

Yes, as far as I can tell, the overheating issue has been fixed. The only time I experience an increase in heat is on the back of the phone when I play ("high-performance") games, such as online multiplayer, shooting games, etc - but nowhere near the previous overheating issues.

0 Likes
DragonWolf5589
Pathfinder
Options
Has this been fixed yet? I even did full factory restore other day.. And less then 5-10 minutes use I'm having to put my phone in the FRIDGE as its burning my hands.