Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung G20 S is an amazing phone and more delicate than eggs

(Topic created on: 05-06-2020 11:18 AM)
JKH62
Explorer
Options

I decided to switch carriers and try a new smart phone and went with Tmobile and a Galaxy 20S. I was surprised on how slim and light the phone is upon picking it up. The retail store did not have any cases I liked so I ordered a case off Amazon and decided to not take my phone out of the house until I had a case for it. Well......

I had my phone for about 4 days using it in the house. My phone was sitting on the arm rest of my couch and slid off , dropped and landed on the laminate floor. A fall of less than 20". The rear glass cover is cracked on opposite corner edges.

My phone and camera work fine but I am simply amazed at how fragile the 20S is or maybe its just my 20S. I have no idea if its a factory defect and I have never seen anything like it. Its really more fragile than an egg. If the phone is this delicate it should come WITH some type of case or more durable gorilla glass. I am 57 years old and owned several brands of smart phones ( coming from an LG V30) and I have never dropped or broken a phone before in my life. Be aware my cracked 20S could be a fluke or a sign of a bigger issue. Now I need to find a place to replace mt rear cover.

The Galaxy 20 S needs a GOOD case so be advised if you have one be darn careful with it. The quality of the phone ( use) is excellent , its the durability issue that makes me concerned. If a laminate floor cracked the rear glass a drop on concrete will likely kill the phone. Pretty sad for a device that costs a grand or more.

13 REPLIES 13
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@JKH62  Sorry to hear of your cracked screen which must be a souce of annoyance.   Smart Phones are more fragile nowadays due to the number of components packed in and you need to take care https://technosoups.com/why-are-modern-smartphones-so-fragile/ . However would not have thought it would have been a great risk indoors.

Unfortunately cracked screens are not covered under warranty but for instance Samsung have a doors repair service if you were interested Samsung Repairs  , obviously up to yourself if you wish to go down another route.   Edited link as now realise you are in the U.S.    (This is the Uk/Ireland community)

For uk customers, best repair link is here https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/repair/ 

I have not had damage dropping a phone, though some time ago foolishly  sat mobile on sistern and  it dropped right in :face-with-rolling-eyes:    :face-with-tears-of-joy:

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
JKH62
Explorer
Options

Its the glass on glass edge design that kills it.

I actually think an egg would survive the same drop.

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Another thread here, taking it you do not have insurance https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S20-S20-S20-Ultra/S20-Broken-Screen

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Tests have shown that the  standard S20 is more susceptible to damage than the Plus or the Ultra, however the base test by SquareTrade   was at a height of 6 feet.

https://www.phoneweek.co.uk/samsung-galaxy-s20-phones-Breakability Tests 

JKH62
Explorer
Options

Insurance would not change what happened.........

I have no issue paying for a mistake but IMHO the 20S needs to be handeled with extreme care.

If I had known how fragile this phone is I would have selected a different model or brand.

The $109 it costs to replace the part with an OEM Samsung glass is not the issue, its the feeling of something that easily breaks and long term durabilty that is more troubling.

Its the last phone I will ever buy with a glass on glass edge unless it really durable gorilla glass, not the studd used on the 20S.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options

i come with a quite out of topic call, it is s20 not 20s

Have a nice day and sorry for possibily resulting annoying, i do not want to.

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@Anonymous User  Indeed  though some times  people put things the wrong way round :smiling-face:

0 Likes
JKH62
Explorer
Options

Luckily most people's brain autocorrect.

Shamrock_Sean
Voyager
Options

Absolute rubbish it's made of same materials and if anything the Plus and Ultra are heavier and would fall harder. And from experience i have found GG3 to be more shatter proof

0 Likes