Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S20+ Which camera use and how to set it up?

(Topic created on: 15-06-2020 01:50 PM)
Libb
MegaStar
Options

I haven't written anything about photography for a while, so I feel it's the time to fix it. After all, when, if not when the new generation of Galaxy S has arrived?

Zoom

The Samsung Galaxy S20+ has 3 cameras: main, wide angle and zoom.

So first we look at the zoom camera.

I took 3 photos for you, each with a different zoom. So my S20 + should always use a different camera module.

zoom 0.5xzoom 0.5x zoom 1xzoom 1x zoom 3xzoom 3x

As you can see, there is half the street on the widest focus, 3 houses on the basic module and 3 windows on the zoom.

Let's see what it looks like if we put the 3 photos on top of each other:

zoom.jpg

Here it is even better to see the difference between modules. So don't be afraid to use all three modules. Switch between them easily by clicking the tree icon. The fewer trees, the more detailed you take a photo.

But beware! This applies if there is enough light! Under low light conditions, the wide-angle (f / 2.2) and telephoto (f / 2.0) lenses will appear less bright. It doesn't seem like that, because the basic lens has an f / 1.8, but even this few difference indicate almost half the light transmission of a wide-angle lens.

Of course, if you need a wide shot, the widescreen module is irreplaceable, but if you want to zoom, consider if you prefer to use cropping or just have less detail.

Aspect Ratio

And now let's look at another setting, namely the aspect ratio. You may have noticed that the camera settings only have the option to set the resolution for video, but no longer for photos. All that is available is the aspect ratio setting. We can choose from ratios of 4: 3, 16: 9, 1: 1 and Full.

Screenshot_20200422-064046_Camera.png

What is what and when to use? Again we will first show the pictures:

1:11:1 4:34:3 16:916:9 FullFull

Well, what's going on? The table with the resolution of each picture will tell us more:

AspectRationAndResolution.png

As we can see, the 4:3 aspect ratio has the highest resolution. 1:1 is the same in height but smaller in width, then 16:9 and Full are preserved in width, but the height is reduced.

Here is again one picture with all images:

ratios.jpg

The whole photo is 4:3, others are highlighted by colored rectangles. Here I would like to point out that, as in the first case with zoom, I did not just paint lines into one photo, but I really stacked the individual photos on top of each other. After all, it's a bit visible, because I don't have a proper tripod at home right now, so the cell phone moved a bit during the photo shoot.

The 4:3 aspect ratio uses the entire area of ​​the chip, other ratios crop the photo.

So the idea is to always take photos in a 4: 3 ratio and if necessary crop the photos at home. I recommend it and I do it, but there are exceptions.

We can use the 1:1 aspect ratio if we know we want to share the photo only on Instagram.

The 16:9 aspect ratio makes sense if we present photos on TV (they usually have this aspect ratio).

Full uses exactly the entire area of ​​the mobile phone display, if we show photos on it, it makes sense.

But it is important to realize that anything other than 4:3 means irreversibly discarding some information.

Xiaomi 14 Ultra White | Samsung Galaxy Tab S9 256GB
Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 Pro | Samsung Galaxy Buds / Buds2 / Buds2 Pro

36 REPLIES 36
Libb
MegaStar
Options

@Steve1956 wrote:
S20 Ultra.
I want to use 16:9 (panorama) with 108 mp.
I always take photos in 16:9 to display full screen on my TV, & was looking forward to getting a high number of pixels, so I could, if I wanted to, crop them later without loss of quality.
This is currently not an option.

I'm not sure if I understand you. You can take a photo with 108 Mpx and then lossless crop it in any editor which supports lossless cropping.

@Steve1956 wrote:
S20 Ultra.
Is it possible that the option will be made available by a future software update?
Very misleading advertising😥.

I'l create an idea for developers.

0 Likes
Ron0071
Student
Options

I have recently bought the Samsung S20 Plus and i am also learning how to use it.

Thank you

Crashtest1
Explorer
Options

am I going mad? I used to be able to switch between the different cameras (wide / normal / zoom) on my S20+, it has disappeared for photos but still shows for videos. 

Have I accidentally disabled this or has it been removed in an update? 

0 Likes
Libb
MegaStar
Options

It works for me well. Check if you aren't in Pro mode. You can also set defalt settings in Camera.

0 Likes
Crashtest1
Explorer
Options
I've realised what it was, I changed the settings from full to 3:4 64MP.

In full no matter what camera I use the photos come out at 4032x1816, whereas in 3:4 64MP my images are 9248x6936.

It's quite a difference, tbh i probably won't bother with the full mode and stick to the 3:4
0 Likes
Simmo71
Pathfinder
Options

This article is exactly what I needed to help understand the ratios, thank you 🙂

0 Likes
TheDarkPrince
First Poster
Options

Thanks for the write up! Been looking for the info on the ratio differences forever and could never find anything. Awesome! 

Taddy
Student
Options
Can anyone tell me if I'm going mad? I've looked at all the settings but the video recording quality on this phone is SO SO POOR compared to my S9!? I'm gutted. I watch a lotta TV and will quite often record a small clip of something to laugh about with a pal etc. I sit in the same spot and record from the same angle all the time. with my S9 I just zoomed in and pressed record. Lovely crisp quality. I do EXACTLY the same routine with this phone and the picture is BAD. It's grainy, patchy and kinda fuzzy looking. WHAT have they done to the video camera!? I do zoom in as I like to film the screen only, not the ornaments and stuff around the TV, it looks a lil better if U don't zoom, but WHY can I do this with such lovely quality videos with the S9 and not this phone? I kinda just want a new S9 now. Disappointing.
0 Likes
Libb
MegaStar
Options

@Taddy  Try disabling AI completely.

0 Likes
LAger
Journeyman
Options

Hello,

A question about camera usage. When I set the resolution to 4:3(64), then  the tele-camera is used. it causes large image sizes. 

Does S20+ automatically switch to the tele-camera, if I zoom in (f.e. 10x)  at 16:9 resolution set as standard? The size of the images does not seem to change. 

0 Likes