Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S20 was charging, then green bars appeared

(Topic created on: 17-07-2022 11:55 AM)
Ctkgp
First Poster
Options

Hi all,

The weather in the UK has been very hot recently & one night I was charging my S20 & I noticed that the bottom of the screen started to flash. I restarted the phone & it fixed it, however when I woke up in the morning there were 3 green bars across the screen, each increasing in size if the brightness gets decreased.

I'm not too bothered about the green bars however since it has happened the bottom green bar is constantly hot & sometimes burning hot. To add onto this, it seems like my battery life is draining so much faster now.

Is this an known issue? I heard if the CPU overheats, it can cause damage to the screen.

Also, if the screen goes completely blacked (locked with no AOD), then the screen won't turn back on. It needs to be plugged into the charger for it to be put back on or the AOD has to be on.

IMG_0206.jpg

To add on, the cracks on the screen have been there since the start of 2022, never had an issue with them really.

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Oddly, it's likely to be the cracking getting worse due to the heat. Cracks usually spread but the heat will have speeded this up.
AndrewL
Options

@Ctkgp: If you head to the Phone app, dial *#0*# into your keypad, and select Red, Green and Blue from the series of grey tiles, is the issue visible in any of these tests? 

Based on the position of the green bar in relation to the screen damage, it may be the case that the issue is stemming from here. With this in mind I recommend reaching out to our Help Desk to arrange for the device to be inspected and repaired by one of our authorised engineers, to bring it back into its warranty specifications. The engineer will be required to repair the damage to the screen as part of the troubleshooting process, to ensure that it is not a contributing factor, and as physical damage is not covered by our standard warranty, please be aware that a charge will be applicable to cover the cost of the service. 

https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/contact/

0 Likes
Ctkgp
First Poster
Options
I've been told that the warranty would be voided due to the cracks on the screen, so that sucks!
0 Likes
Ctkgp
First Poster
Options
Do you think an S22 would be a decent upgrade for this? Considering a full battery only gives me 4-5 hours of screen on time and screen off time. I was planning to wait to s23 but not sure if I can't wait now 😞
0 Likes
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Hi, I don't have the S22, I have an S21 Ultra. Seeing reports on the S22, I'm glad I have the S21. The S23 will have the Snapdragon chip so that looks tempting.
0 Likes