Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[S20 Ultra] Can't activate Google Pay (contactless)

(Topic created on: 31-07-2020 01:47 AM)
Slyke
First Poster
Options

I have 2 credit cards from 2 different banks. I have used both cards on my SGS9. I can activate both cards on my SGS9 with contactless pay with no issues.

When adding the cards to Google Pay on the SGS20 Ultra they error saying that I need to contact my bank after accepting the terms and conditions, before verifying the card in tha bank's app.

I have contacted Google Pay and they say it's an issue with both my banks. I have contacted both my banks and they say everything is working fine. I can activate contactless payment with Samsung Pay with both cards on the SGS20.

I have Google Pay selected as the default payment app in Tap and Pay settings and also ensured it's ticked in the "Others" tab (There's 2 Google Pays here for some reason). I have turned off battery optimisation for Google Pay. NFC is turned on.

Error message for the first card (Tangerine):

Can't complete setup for contactless pay. To resolve this, you'll need to contact your bank. You can still pay with this card on Google and across other apps and sites, just like before

Error message for Scotiabank:

Your card couldn't be added

Please contact your card issuer for more info. You can also try adding a different card.

I have also tried factory resetting my phone, and completely uninstalling any other app that might use NFC, including Samsung Pay.

I'm about to RMA the phone.

Anyone know what might be wrong?

0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

That's a conundrum @Slyke 

If the feature in the phone is picking up that you need to contact your bank then it's more than likely going to keep saying this.

May I assume you didn't import the phone to use in your country  ?

Who supplied it to you ?

These may help.

samsung-amp-google-pay-not-working-with-my-s10-uk.  And galaxy-s20-s20-s20-ultra/s20-google-pay. 

I wish you all the best with this situation. 

🌈 Stay Safe & Stay Alert.  🌈 

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

0 Likes
Slyke
First Poster
Options

Hello,

Yep, I have contacted both banks multiple times. Even had the bank on while chatting to the Google Pay help desk agent to try to resolve it.

I purchased the phone locally from a local telco (Freedom Mobile).

0 Likes
Spanner
First Poster
Options
had the same problem had to contact my bank , now resolved.
0 Likes
Slyke
First Poster
Options

Anyone have any ideas?

0 Likes
number17
First Poster
Options

I have the exact same problem, and the stupid thing is the same cards that I fail to add on my Samsung S10, I can add them to my wife's S10+. 

0 Likes
diablo999
Apprentice
Options

Mám tiež problém s platbou cez NFC, mobil Samsung s20ultra niekedy nereaguje! Samsung note 8 som nemal  nikdy problém. PREČO ?

0 Likes
kaasI
First Poster
Options
Having the same issue with S20. Have added my debit card but won't accept my credit card.

Have talked multiple times to my bank and they have no clue what is happening. Disappointing.
0 Likes
Mthig85
First Poster
Options

I had this problem with Samsung pay last year when I switched phones. Samsung pay kept blaming the bank and vice versa. They finally told me that I would have to wait on an app update. But the issue was never resolved. After a year, I finally found the solution on my own. I just upgraded from the galaxy A71 to the galaxy S20 ultra and found myself in the same predicament with Google play that I was in when with Samsung pay. I tried removing my card from Samsung post originally and that didn't work either. After some self troubleshooting tonight,  I finally found a solution. Do not remove your card from the service. You will need to disable contactless payment in the settings of the service on the device that you used the contactless option on. Once you do that, you can enable it on the new device. Once a card is enabled as contactless payment, the service creates a virtual account number for that card that is shared with merchants and it appears that the system won't allow that on multiple devices for the same card. So, before wasting time to contact both services, just disable contactless payment which will delete the virtual account from that device and allow you to add it to another device. Hope this finds its way to many people and helps them out. 

0 Likes
Poojith
First Poster
Options

Can you please share what happened and how they resolved

0 Likes