Did you mean: 

Original topic:

S20 Ultra Camera Suggestion - Pro mode for wide angle and telephoto lenses

(Topic created on: 11/07/20 12:13)
ConcreteLlama
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Since getting the phone (S20 Ultra) and dealing with some autofocus issues, I've come to appreciate the pro mode. Not for any of the pro features, really (I'm no photographer and don't get how to use all the features properly) but for the fact that it has manual focus. When auto focus fails (which it regularly does on the current firmware) it's great to be able to have a backup option. There are 2 problems with the pro mode, however:

1) You can only use the main camera sensor

2) You can't use 108mp mode on the main sensor

Personally, I think it would be great if Samsung enabled pro mode on the telephoto and wide angle lenses - especially the telephoto lens. While it wouldn't negate the need for better autofocus on the normal mode (which the phone desparately needs) it would at least give people an option when the camera is unable to focus, or in situations where the camera just keeps focusing on the wrong thing (which can happen on the best of autofocus implementations).

34 REPLIES 34
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

@Ant0n wrote:

Why is Pro mode not available in wide angle/telephoto or 108mp? It's like buying an extra large pizza, but the only topping available is broccoli 🥦...

So 😥 

i do not know what kind of pizza you eat, what the hell is an extra large pizza format? LOL

Anyways pro mode on 108mpx is just impossible, the isp will never handle that

0 Likes
Ant0n
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

It's the best kind of pizza... So large and so cheezy!

And Pro mode at 108MP would actually take less processing power for the ISP to handle than in thr currently available Auto mode at 108MP, since no additional post processing would be required if all the parameters (exposure, ISO, etc.) are manually set by the user. 

Chagalj
Observer
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

I just wanted to bump this thread. I bought s20 ultra few days ago and Im fairly dissapointed with camera not having telephoto lens in Pro mode. Please,  Samsung, make this possible. This phone is too expensive and too powerful to not have this feature in camera modes. Switch from main to telephoto lens in video mode is terrible, like its switched to recording with completely different camera. Let us have control over this beast of a phone. Wide and telephoto pro mode, please.

HisyamRosmi
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Been an a loyal Samsung customer for a long time. From the S8 and my yearly upgrades till S20 Ultra. Even all any other phones that I bought for other people (my parents, brothers, sisters and my in-laws) has been Samsung. Mind you I did the bi-yearly upgrades for my parents and in-laws too. With all that money poured to Samsung they still giving me the "cluttered UI BS". This is an utter BS, a freakin lazy one too. Too lazy to improve their products yet too lazy to provide a valid excuses! Too bad Huawei isnt supported by google. Might have to change to Apple for my next purchase. I despise Apple, but it is only fair to throw my money to Samsung biggest competitor. Wont get any value with Samsung might as well get the brand recognition from Apple. At least I get something with my money.

MrBarkan
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

I'm sorry, but this doesn't make sense. I'm a professional photographer and it's part of our daily job to switch lenses. I understand that on the phone we'd actually be switching sensors. But just make the values change and adapt. Pro mode/Manual mode is for who knows what they are doing. I shoot a lot with my phone's camera. Just upgraded from an S9 to an S20... was very excited for having a telephoto lens... But I'm very disappointed that I can't use manual mode for other lenses...

Samsung could at least enable RAW shooting with the other lenses/sensors.

0 Likes