Did you mean: 

Original topic:

S20 Ultra Camera Suggestion - Pro mode for wide angle and telephoto lenses

(Topic created on: 08/05/20 18:40)
ConcreteLlama
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Since getting the phone (S20 Ultra) and dealing with some autofocus issues, I've come to appreciate the pro mode. Not for any of the pro features, really (I'm no photographer and don't get how to use all the features properly) but for the fact that it has manual focus. When auto focus fails (which it regularly does on the current firmware) it's great to be able to have a backup option. There are 2 problems with the pro mode, however:

1) You can only use the main camera sensor

2) You can't use 108mp mode on the main sensor

Personally, I think it would be great if Samsung enabled pro mode on the telephoto and wide angle lenses - especially the telephoto lens. While it wouldn't negate the need for better autofocus on the normal mode (which the phone desparately needs) it would at least give people an option when the camera is unable to focus, or in situations where the camera just keeps focusing on the wrong thing (which can happen on the best of autofocus implementations).

34 REPLIES 34
SteveUK1
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

but you need to be able to cotrol shutter speed in zoom mode  -especially for wildlife. Meanwhile I am getting shadow in pro mode at 10x zoom. It isnt very good. 

rjvc
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

I would second that. I am a SLR user and the pro mode on my s20 Ultra would be so much more beneficial if you could use all three lenses and the 108mb mode too. 

SteveUK1
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Just realised there is no image satbilisation above 10x , which is pathetic. Close to sending it back

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

@AntS wrote:

Hi all,

The developers have replied:

"For now, Pro Mode supports Wide Camera only so Tele Camera can not be used in Pro Mode.
Basically Pro Mode is designed for manual control without automatic settings.
But Wide and Tele Camera have different features like aperture, focus and etc.
Therefore it would be hard to show both ones in the same mode because they are totally different feelings."

In other words, it seems that the different ways the Wide and Tele lenses work means that extending Pro Mode to include both lenses would make the UI very complicated.

I asked them about the possibility of manual focus for the Tele lens, and they've replied that "there's no way to enable manual focus functions on Tele camera for now."

well i expected that since they are completety different camera types. Anyway there is still hope for a future model!

0 Likes
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

@SteveUK1 wrote:

Just realised there is no image satbilisation above 10x , which is pathetic. Close to sending it back

yeah that is bad

theawkwardguyyy
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Quite honestly, I find the developer's reply unsatisfactory. I'm a developer too and I'm not sure how these guys have developed it but keeping general principles and good practices in mind... Software just communicates with the hardware drivers so be it a Simple camera, Wide Angle camera or Telephoto camera, it sholdn't really matter. All the cameras have same controls (i.e. shutter speed, zoom, focus, etc.) all the UI would have to do is, switch to a different lens and start using it's driver to show the image and adjust settings... Not sure why there devs think it'll make it complicated. As someone else said, it didn't make it complicated for Huawei 🙂

FrancisPhoto
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

So be it, make the UI complicated. It's called pro mode for a reason and the absence of the other lenses in such a mode is unacceptable. Being unable to take full control of all focal lengths is absurdly disappointing. 

This has been the case since the S9. You've had years to implement this feature that should be included anyway. 

Please release an update that includes this. I would love to see what the S20 cameras are truly capable of. 

S20NotVeryUltra
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

This is purely a software issue, not hardware. There's no need to wait for a future model for a fix. The S20 Ultra is an extremely expensive phone  that is marketed as having "Pro Level" cameras and lenses.

Meanwhile the camera system is completely crippled by glaring issues with the software and a huge lack of basic features available in most amateur-level cameras and third-party applications.

It is absolutely mind-blowing that the developers are prioritizing maintaining a cleaner UI over providing access to urgently-needed manual controls for the ultra-wide and telephoto lenses/sensors. It's called "Pro" mode for f***s sake. Why are you prioritizing casual users over pro-level users?

And why are you preventing third-party apps from having any access whatsoever to the telephoto lens as well as video image stabilization for the ultra-wide lens?

Why are there no manual controls whatsoever for higher-framerate/slow-motion video?

Why are 960fps and 240fps the only two slowmotion framerate options? Why are 3rd-Party Applications blocked from recording high framerates?

The developers say they don't want to clutter the UI, but that doesn't explain why they're preventing us from being able to use many of the most-heavily marketed camera features outside of the stock camera app.

WHY? It makes no sense. What are you hiding?

I can't return the phone at this point, but I CAN warn tens of thousands of potential customers about the S20 Ultra's total lack of necessary features and misleading advertising to help make sure people don't make the same mistake I did.

Developers need to stop making up nonsense excuses.

P_A_
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S20 Series
I agree. Honestly, I was shocked when I found out that the "Pro" mode does not work with the telephoto lens. The "true" telephoto was one of the reasons I was willing to pay more for the Ultra in comparison to the Plus model.

An update on the matter from the moderators side would be highly appreciated.
Seiha
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S20 Series
Because Huawei is better.
I'm waiting for full access in pro mode since galaxy s9+, but what i got is disappointed on Samsung. I've been using Samsung galaxy s4 and i always upgrade every year.
I also expected my s20 ultra to be the best, but it's not.
You disappointed me Samsung. You should be the best.
This is my last galaxy and I won't upgrade to new flagship phone any more. Looking forward to use Chinese flagship phone.
As a photographer, I just wanted my s20 ultra to have full access on Pro-mode.
Disappointed on you samsung. Thank for this sucks s20 ultra that i spent on.